En­niskerry prove too strong for Knockanann­a

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - KIERAN WHE­LAN

ON the windy evening in Hol­ly­wood the men of En­niskerry and Knockanann­a took to the field in what was to be a tight and tense af­fair for the ma­jor­ity of the game with both sides look­ing to to progress to the JBFC fi­nal.

The men from Knockanann­a got off to the best pos­si­ble start with a point in­side the open­ing minute from the boot of Derek Ka­vanagh.

Knockanann­a how­ever, who were play­ing against the wind in the first half, were soon find­ing it dif­fi­cult to out their ear­lier pos­ses­sion onto the score sheet as they found it tricky to gauge the wind.

En­niskerry, who would take a few min­utes to set­tle, were find­ing it hard to get the ball out of their de­fence as the Knockanann­a at­tack­ers were putting their backs un­der se­ri­ous pres­sure.

It took En­niskerry seven min­utes to reg­is­ter their open­ing point, a free from Gavin Bar­ton. To their credit, once En­niskerry got the ball out of their de­fence they were caus­ing Knockanann­a all sorts of trou­ble with their di­rect line run­ning leav­ing the Knockanann­a de­fence at sixes and sev­ens.

En­niskerry was work­ing the ball well and they used the strong wind to their ad­van­tage as they pushed the score­board out to 0-5 to 0-1 mid­way through the half, the pick of these scores com­ing from their mid­fielder Craig Wil­liams with an out­side of the right boot shot from dis­tance.

Af­ter reg­is­ter­ing the open­ing score of the game, it would take Knockanann­a un­til the 17th minute to get the next white flag raised aloft af­ter a free from Lor­can Tyrrell.

En­niskerry were to re­gain con­trol around the mid­dle but un­for­tu­nately for them they only man­aged to reg­is­ter two points in the next 10 min­utes.

As the clock was tick­ing to­wards the end of the half and En­niskerry in the driv­ing seat it came the time for Knockanann­a to hit their pur­ple patch. First came a point from Reid Byrne af­ter a great team move found Reid in space and, off the left, he fired a shot straight over the cross­bar.

From the re­sult­ing kick­out Knockanann­a gained pos­ses­sion and Tris­tan Ma­her ran straight at the de­fence af­ter beat­ing his man and with the En­niskerry full-back Dan Kelly com­ing out to close down the space Ma­her fisted the ball over his head to Noel Byrne who jumped above Ian Kir­wan to fist the ball into the net. Knockanann­a with their tails up were to reg­is­ter an­other point be­fore the half-time whis­tle blew.

Again, Knockanann­a were to get off to a dream start with a point from Kevin Tyrrell straight from the throw in.

Tyrrell was brought in at the break for the in­jured Noel Byrne who suf­fered a heavy blow in the process of get­ting his goal.

En­niskerry had it all to do with the wind blow­ing into their face and they knew they were go­ing to have to hold pos­ses­sion and work the ball out through the hand.

As the game moved from end to end both sides will look back at some poor shot choices. Mid­way through the sec­ond half and with the tie all square at 10 points to 1-7, came the first goal of the game for En­niskerry; a well­worked team move started and fin­ished to the net by Alan King.

King gained pos­ses­sion on the 45-yard line and laid the ball onto AJ Porter who was run­ning off his shoul­der. Porter laid the ball off to Gavin Bar­ton who ran di­rectly at the Knockanann­a rear­guard and as the de­fence con­verged in, he coolly slipped the ball off to King who had con­tin­ued his run and who drove the ball to the bot­tom cor­ner of the net.

En­niskerry to their credit when they got the up­per hand, they never looked like re­liev­ing the pres­sure and they pushed on with three more points in this game.

With the lead out to five the men from Knockanann­a were push­ing hard to get a goal of their own, but the best they could get was a point from Derek Ka­vanagh as the En­niskerry de­fence held firm.

With the Knockanann­a play­ers push­ing for­ward it was leav­ing space in the back­line and En­niskerry would close out the game with an­other goal by AJ Porter to put a nice shine on the fi­nal score line and book their place in the fi­nal.

Scor­ers – En­niskerry: AJ Porter 1-1, Gavin Bar­ton 0-4, Alan King 1-0, Jack Con­roy 0-3, Bren­dan Bar­ton 0-2, Anto O’Neill 0-2, Stephen Cahill 0-1, Craig Wil­liams 0-1.

Knockanann­a: Derek Ka­vanagh 0-3, Noel Byrne 1-0, Lor­can Tyrrell 0-2, Kevin Tyrrell 0-2, Keith Cor­ri­gan 0-1, Reid Byrne 0-1, Damien Byrne 0-1

EN­NISKERRY: Ian Kir­wan; James Moloney, Dan Kelly, Mark Mullen; Luke Wrynn, Sea­mus O’Gor­man, Stephen Cahill; Colm Nolan, Craig Wil­liams; Rhys Cope, Gavin Bar­ton, Jack Con­roy; Alan King, Bren­dan Bar­ton, Anto O’Neill. Subs: AJ Porter, Luke Dal­ton, Alan Acres, Bren­dan Fitzger­ald.

KNOCKANANN­A: Sean Canna; Paddy O’Ke­effe, Aaron O’Neill, Keith Cor­ri­gan; Dar­ren Flynn, Garry Bradley, Ro­nan Byrne; Tris­tian Ma­her, Padraig Lan­caster; Derek Ka­vanagh, Lor­can Tyrrell, Noel Byrne; Reid Byrne, Damien Byrne, Stephen Hinchy. Subs: Kevin Tyrell, Alan Byrne, An­thony Tracey, Ed­die Bracken.

REF­EREE: Keith Pep­pard (Hol­ly­wood)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.