Pats far too strong

Barn­dar­rig have no an­swer as Dun­bur Park side tri­umph

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - LIAM O’LOUGHLIN

BARN­DAR­RIG be­gan this Ju­nior ‘C’ foot­ball cham­pi­onship semi-fi­nal against St. Pats in a very con­fi­dent man­ner. The game was played at Avon­dale on Fri­day night last with the stiff breeze blow­ing away from the dress­ing room end fa­vor­ing the Wick­low town men in the first half. How­ever, they rarely threat­ened a score in the open­ing min­utes.

Barn­dar­rig put on pres­sure in these early stages but couldn’t buy a score and were wide on a num­ber of oc­ca­sions both from play and frees.

Andy Reilly at cen­tre back and mid field­ers Paddy Reid and Cor­mac O’Cal­laghan were keep­ing the play mov­ing to­wards the Pats goal.

St. Pats were slow to get go­ing but cor­ner-for­ward Ge­orge ‘Bee’ O’Brien was be­gin­ning to look dan­ger­ous on the cou­ple of oc­ca­sions the ball ar­rived in the full-for­ward line.

James Ka­vanagh got the St. Pats side on the score­board af­ter seven min­utes. The Dun­bur Park side con­tin­ued to feed ball into Ge­orge ‘Bee’ and he broke through af­ter ten min­utes.

How­ever, in a one-on-one sit­u­a­tion Barn­dar­rig goalie Jamie Hawthorn saved bril­liantly at the ex­pense of a 45. The 45 came to naught but Barn­dar­rig messed up their kick out and Ge­orge ‘Bee’ put John Con­nors in for Pats first goal.

James Ka­vanagh fol­lowed up with an­other point leav­ing the Wick­low town side ahead by 1-2 to nil af­ter 12 min­utes de­spite Barn­dar­rig hav­ing prob­a­bly as much if not more pos­ses­sion up to now.

How­ever, they just could not con­vert a scor­ing chance and St. Pats grad­u­ally be­gan to get the up­per­hand. James Ka­vanagh, Andy O’Brien, Gerry Con­nors and the two in­side for­wards Ge­orge Bee and John Con­nors were play­ing well.

How­ever, the scores were not com­ing here ei­ther and we had no score at all from ei­ther side un­til five min­utes from half-time.

Michael Crow­ley opened the Barn­dar­rig ac­count with a fine point from play. How­ever, St. Pa­tricks sud­denly found their shoot­ing boots for the last few min­utes of the half plus three min­utes of added time.

Ge­orge ‘Bee’ O’Brien scored two quick points (one struck over off the cross­over and should have been a goal), John Con­nors pointed a free, James Ka­vanagh scored his third point and Andy O’Brien got for­ward to get on the score­board just be­fore the whis­tle to end the half. 1-8 to 0-1 at half time and Barn­dar­rig had a high moun­tain to climb. They had the breeze with them for the com­ing half, but it was un­likely to be enough to get them back into the game.

Ge­orge ‘Bee’ O’Brien pointed again in the open­ing min­utes of the half. Two quick points from Eoin Bren­nan and Cor­mac O’Cal­laghan gave a tem­po­rary lift to Barn­dar­rig but when John Con­nors got his sec­ond goal fol­lowed by a Terry Healy point the Wick­low town team were now 2-9 to 0-3 ahead and look­ing safe.

By 20 min­utes Ge­orge ‘Bee’ O’Brien had added a goal and a point and the game was over as a con­test St. Pats fin­ished out the re­main­der of the game play­ing the re­laxed, com­fort­able foot­ball of a team com­pletely in con­trol.

Sub­sti­tutes Paddy Mur­phy (2) and John O’Brien added the fi­nal three points while Michael Crow­ley fin­ished the Barn­dar­rig scor­ing with a pointed free just be­fore the end.

St. Pats ran out com­fort­able win­ners on a score of 3-13 to 0-4. They now meet Kil­coole in the fi­nal.

Scor­ers - St. Pa­trick’s: John Con­nors 2-1, Ge­orge Bee O’Brien 1-4, James Ka­vanagh 0-3, Paddy Mur­phy 0-2, Andy O’Brien, Terry Healy and John O’Brien 0-1 each.

Barn­dar­rig: Michael Crow­ley 0-2, Eoin Bren­nan 0-1 and Cor­mac O’Cal­laghan 0-1.

ST. PA­TRICKS: Ricky Quinn; Ge­orge O’Brien, Robin Mooney, Dale Quinn; Michael Con­nors, Andy O’Brien, Christy Moore­house; James Ka­vanagh, Terry Healy; James Bon­ner O’Brien, Gerry Con­nors, Kevin Cody; An­drew Con­way, John Con­nors, Ge­orge ‘Bee’ O’Brien. Subs: Pa­trick Mur­phy, John G. O’Brien, John D. O’Brien John R. O’Brien and John Car­ton. JAMIE HAWTHORN: Dean Mackey, Keith Brad­shaw, Richie Mur­ray (jnr); Garry Collins, Andy Reilly, Michael O.Byrne; Paddy Reid, Cor­mac O’Cal­laghan; Ian Jones, Ro­nan Clarke, Max Mo­ri­arty; Wayne Costel­loe, Eoin Bren­nan, Michael Crow­ley. Subs: Alan Power, John Dev­ereux, Brian Walsh, Gra­ham Wynne, Declan Ka­vanagh and Niall Gar­vey.

REF­EREE: Robert Roche (Carnew Em­mets)

The St Pats team who de­feated Barn­dar­rig in the JCFC semi-fi­nal. Barn­dar­rig, who bowed out to St Pats in the JCFC semi-fi­nal in Avon­dale.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.