1. Which bird’s Latin name is Passer domesticus?
A. House sparrow, B. Canary, C. Robin, D. Starling.
2. In classical mythology who turned Odysseus’s men into swine?
A. Circe, B. Demeter, C. Persephone, D. Medusa.
3. In what year did the D-Day landings take place?
A. 1944, B. 1943, C. 1942, D. 1945.
4. Who wrote the novel Trilby which featured the hypnotist Svengali? A. Thomas Hardy, B. William Thackeray, C. George Du Maurier, D. William James.
5. Which U.S. jazz singer became famous with the song A-tisket, A-tasket?
A. Ella Fredericks, B. Ella Fitzgerald, C. Ella Peters, D. Ella Moriss.
6. What sort of instrument is a flageolet? A. A wind instrument, B. A string instrument, C. A percussion instrument, D. A surgical instrument.
7. Which novelist wrote The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye, both featuring the character of detective Philip Marlowe? A. Raymond Chandler, B. Tom Clancy, C. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, D. Agatha Christie.
8. Who wrote Treasure Island?
A. R.L Stevenson, B. A.A Milne, C. J.R.R Tolkien, D. C.S. Lewis.
SOLUTIONS TO LAST WEEK’S PUB QUIZ: 1. B; 2. B; 3. A; 4. B; 5. A; 6. B; 7. B; 8. D.