The Jerusalem Post

Man shot entering US base in England

-

LONDON (Reuters) – US military personnel fired shots on Monday as they stopped a man who tried to force his way into a military base in central England that is used by the US Air Force, police said.

The Mildenhall Royal Air Force base said security staff locked down the base, used by the United States to refuel US and NATO aircraft in Europe, at about 1 p.m. following reports of a disturbanc­e.

“Shots were fired by American service personnel and a man has been detained with cuts and bruises and taken into custody,” Suffolk Police said. “No other people have been injured as a result of the incident.” The US Air Force said the incident had been contained and that the suspect had been apprehende­d. Police said they remained on the base. The US Embassy declined immediate comment.

The 1,162-acre base, which houses about 3,100 members of the US military and an additional 3,000 family members, is set for closure after the US said it was going to move its operations from the base to Germany.“The base was locked down and emergency personnel are responding to the situation,” RAF Mildenhall said in a statement. “Individual­s in the area surroundin­g the installati­on are asked to avoid the base at this time.” A statement for the base later said the lockdown had later been lifted.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Israel