23-year-old al­legedly mur­ders his two sisters in fam­ily home in Jaffa

In­ci­dent comes hours af­ter mother, daugh­ter found dead in sus­pected mur­der-sui­cide

The Jerusalem Post - - NEWS - • By TA­MARA ZIEVE

A 23-year-old man al­legedly killed his two sisters in their fam­ily home in Jaffa early Thurs­day morn­ing – and then called the po­lice to re­port it.

Po­lice who arrived at the scene found the two young women, aged 19 and 21, in their beds with their throats slit. The young man who re­ported the in­ci­dent was also in the apart­ment and was ar­rested.

Is­raeli me­dia re­ported that the sus­pect had a his­tory of men­tal ill­ness and was known to the wel­fare ser­vices and po­lice.

Other fam­ily mem­bers were home when he al­legedly com­mit­ted the mur­ders.

Neigh­bors told me­dia that 13 peo­ple lived in the apart­ment in dif­fi­cult con­di­tions. They also re­lated that they of­ten heard noise, shout­ing and ar­gu­ments em­a­nat­ing from the apart­ment. One neigh­bor told Chan­nel 2 News that they fre­quently in­formed po­lice and so­cial work­ers about the sit­u­a­tion.

The mur­ders oc­curred less than 24 hours af­ter a mother and daugh­ter were found stabbed to death in their Tiberias apart­ment. The mother had called the po­lice to re­port the stab­bing be­fore suc­cumb­ing to her wounds. It is sus­pected that her daugh­ter, who re­port­edly suf­fered from men­tal ill­ness, had com­mit­ted a mur­der-sui­cide.

Also on Wed­nes­day, a one-year-old baby in a kinder­garten died in Pe­tah Tikva. Ac­cord­ing to a lo­cal re­port, the staff tried to wake the baby from her af­ter­noon nap; when she didn’t wake up, they called res­cue ser­vices who rushed to the scene and tried to re­sus­ci­tate her. An in­ten­sive-care unit evac­u­ated the baby to Sch­nei­der Chil­dren’s Med­i­cal Cen­ter where doc­tors pro­nounced her dead.

In a sep­a­rate in­ci­dent in the city, the Pe­tah Tikva Mag­is­trate’s Court re­leased a kinder­garten teacher who was sus­pected of as­sault­ing a 5-year-old boy on Tues­day. The boy was brought to Sch­nei­der Chil­dren’s Med­i­cal Cen­ter for med­i­cal tests; it was found that he had a bro­ken arm. The med­i­cal team re­ported its find­ings and po­lice opened an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the in­ci­dent, bring­ing the teacher in for ques­tion­ing. She was then brought to court and her re­mand was ex­tended. Dur­ing her sec­ond hear­ing the court de­cided to re­lease her un­der re­stric­tive con­di­tions, in­clud­ing five days of house ar­rest and a re­strain­ing or­der from the kinder­garten. The po­lice in­ves­ti­ga­tion is on­go­ing.

Judy Siegel-Itzkovich con­trib­uted to this re­port.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Israel

© PressReader. All rights reserved.