The Split museum activity is linked to the Papalić Palace, which today houses the Split City Museum. Between the end of the fifteenth and beginning of the sixteenth centuries, a collection of stone monuments from Salona was housed in the Gothic- Renaissance building of the noble Papalić family. The first exhibition of the city’s cultural and historical heritage opened here in 1915. Restoration work began on the museum in 1984 and was concluded in 1992. The museum also houses the Gallery of Emanuel Vidović, a twentieth- century painter from Split.