Man killed by cops shot twice while on his back, court told

Daily Observer (Jamaica) - - NEWS - BY TANE­SHA MUN­DLE

Aforen­sic ex­pert yes­ter­day tes­ti­fied that two of the four shots re­ceived by the man who was al­legedly killed by three po­lice­men in Hayes, Claren­don, were fired while he was ly­ing on his back.

The man in ques­tion, An­drew Bis­son, was killed in his one-room house in Corn Piece Dis­trict, Hayes on Septem­ber 5, 2011, dur­ing a po­lice op­er­a­tion.

It is al­leged that he was part of a group at a garage when three law en­forcers — Cor­po­ral Kevin Adams, Con­sta­ble Carl Buc­knor, and Dis­trict Con­sta­ble Howard Brown — took him in­side the house and killed him.

Yes­ter­day, dur­ing the mur­der trial of the three po­lice­men in the Home Cir­cuit Court, Dr Ro­han Ruwan­pura, the Gov­ern­ment pathol­o­gist who had per­formed the post-mortem on Bis­son’s body, tes­ti­fied that the vic­tim was shot four times; once in his left ear, once in the ab­dom­i­nal area, and twice in the re­gion of his ch­est.

How­ever, Dr Ruwan­pura told ju­rors that based on his ex­am­i­na­tion, the vic­tim would have re­ceived the first shot in his ab­dom­i­nal area, which would have caused him to crouch, hence the sec­ond shot would have hit him in his left ear and the last two shots would have been fired while he was on his back af­ter fall­ing to the ground.

When asked to elab­o­rate on how he had ar­rived at that assess­ment, the doc­tor ex­plained that when an in­di­vid­ual is shot while ly­ing on a hard sur­face, blood is un­able to exit the wound in a straight man­ner. In­stead, it flows in typ­i­cal type exit, which is well-known in foren­sic medicine.

The ju­rors were also told that Bis­son would have died within min­utes af­ter re­ceiv­ing the gun­shot to his left ear, which had dam­aged his skull, and that based on how quickly he had died, there had been pas­sive bleed­ing.

But ear­lier in the pro­ceed­ings, lead pros­e­cu­tor Car­o­line Hay dis­closed that two hol­low point bul­lets that were re­trieved from the vic­tim’s body did not match any of the firearms of the three po­lice­men, in­clud­ing Brown’s li­censed firearm which he had in his pos­ses­sion on the day of the in­ci­dent and had sur­ren­dered for test­ing.

She also stated that two ad­di­tional bul­lets that were found on the scene did not match any of the po­lice­men’s weapons.

Hay pointed out that two spent shells that were re­cov­ered had matched the ser­vice pis­tols of Adams and Buc­knor. The court how­ever heard last week that the In­de­pen­dent Com­mis­sion of In­ves­ti­ga­tions is try­ing to lo­cate those two spent shells.

In­spec­tor Balvy Thomas, who was then a sergeant at the May Pen Po­lice Sta­tion where the men were as­signed, dur­ing cross-ex­am­i­na­tion from Brown’s at­tor­ney, Dwight Reece, said that hol­low point bul­lets are not is­sued by the Ja­maica Constabulary Force.

He also tes­ti­fied that a firearm was re­cov­ered from Bis­son on the day he was killed.

Dur­ing fur­ther cross-ex­am­i­na­tion from Ravil Gold­ing, one of Adams’ lawyers, In­spec­tor Thomas tes­ti­fied that a re­turn­ing res­i­dent was mur­dered in Claren­don a few days be­fore the in­ci­dent with Bis­son and that on the day of his death, po­lice were in­volved in a shootout with men in re­la­tion to the re­turn­ing res­i­dent’s mur­der.

The trial is to con­tinue to­day be­fore Chief Jus­tice Bryan Sykes.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.