Jamaica Gleaner

Gre­nada’s football coach banned

-

ST GE­ORGE’S, Gre­nada (CMC): FIFA HAS sus­pended Gre­nada’s se­nior men’s na­tional football coach An­thony Modeste for four games and fined him more than US$10,000 for mis­con­duct against match of­fi­cials.

The Dis­ci­plinary Com­mit­tee, com­pris­ing of Clau­dio Sulser of Switzer­land as chair­man, and mem­bers Jim Shaw of North­ern Ire­land, Ariel Al­varado of Panama, and Cris­tian Varela of Chile, handed down its de­ci­sion on July 23. The rul­ing was com­mu­ni­cated to the Gre­nada Football As­so­ci­a­tion (GFA) last week.

The Spice Boyz coach is ac­cused of breach­ing the FIFA Dis­ci­plinary Code by com­mit­ting an un­sport­ing con­duct to­wards a match of­fi­cial dur­ing their World Cup pre­lim­i­nary round game against Puerto Rico in June.

Ac­cord­ing to FIFA, Modeste, who re­ceived a red card dur­ing the first-leg pre­lim­i­nary game against Puerto Rico in the 2018 FIFA World Cup on June 12, will miss Gre­nada’s third-round qual­i­fy­ing games against Haiti next month.

FIFA said that the au­to­matic match sus­pen­sion was al­ready served when Gre­nada played Puerto Rico on June 16 in St Ge­orge’s and in light of the fact that Gre­nada has qual­i­fied for the next round of the pre­lim­i­nary com­pe­ti­tion, Modeste will be served two match sus­pen­sions against Haiti on Septem­ber 4 and 8.

The gov­ern­ing body said that the re­main­ing match sus­pen­sion will have to be served if Gre­nada qual­ify for round four of the com­pe­ti­tion.

How­ever, if Gre­nada does not qual­ify for the sub­se­quent round of the pre­lim­i­nary com­pe­ti­tion of the FIFA World Cup 2018, the re­main­ing match sus­pen­sion will be car­ried over to Gre­nada’s next of­fi­cial match.

Modeste is also fined US$9,000 in ap­pli­ca­tion of the rul­ing and US$1,000 for the pro­ceed­ings. He has 30 days from the date of no­ti­fi­ca­tion of the de­ci­sion to pay the fine.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica