ISAAC ASIMOV’S SUPER QUIZ
Take this Super Quiz to a PhD. Score one point for each correct answer on the Freshman Level, two points on the Graduate Level and three points on the PhD Level.
SUBJECT: CULTURAL LITERACY
(e.g., Which foreign country did President Trump visit first? Answer: Saudi Arabia.)
1. This island was the chief US immigration station from 1892 to 1943.
2. FBI agents gunned down this bank robber outside a theater in Chicago.
3. Who was the central character in the Chappaquiddick incident?
4. The play The Miracle Worker dramatised this person’s life.
5. Suffrage is the right to ____.
6. Provide the last name: Ralph Waldo ____.
7. Who is credited with the remark, “I never met a man I didn’t like”?
8. Provide the next line: “Jesus loves me, this I know.”
9. John Bartlett is best known for publishing what type of remarks? 10. Who is arguably the best known American traitor?
11. Who wrote the words to The Star-Spangled Banner?
12. Their works include H.M.S. Pinafore and The Mikado.
13. Quote the first line of the poem To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time.
14. Who was the author of The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock?
15. In which play is this phrase used by the title character: “Every inch a king?”
1. Long jump. 2. Long Beach.
3. Long johns. 4. Long suit.
5. Long Island. 6. Long ton.
7. Long March. 8. Long-winded.
9. Long shot (long odds).
24 to 30 points – congratulations, doctor; 18 to 23 points – honours graduate; 13 to 17 points – you’re plenty smart, but no grind; 5 to 12 points – you really should hit the books harder; 1 point to 4 points – enrol in remedial courses immediately; 0 points – who reads the questions to you?