Al­varez-Golovkin bout set for Septem­ber

The Korea Times - - SPORTS - LOS AN­GE­LES (AFP)

— Canelo Al­varez and Gen­nady Golovkin will square off in their highly-an­tic­i­pated re­match in Septem­ber in Las Ve­gas, box­ing pro­moter Os­car De La Hoya said on Wed­nes­day.

De La Hoya an­nounced the ten­ta­tive deal for a mid-Septem­ber show­down at T-Mo­bile Arena af­ter weeks of on-again and off-again bar­gain­ing by the two fight­ers’ camps.

“I’m happy to in­form that we have a fight Septem­ber 15!!!!,” De La Hoya tweeted.

Golovkin’s pro­moter Tom Lo­ef­fler said, “Re­match is on! @GGGBox­ing will be even more dom­i­nant on Sept 15 for all that #non­sense! Big­gest Fight of the Year!”

There was no word on Wed­nes­day about the de­tails of the agree­ment or even if a con­tract has been signed.

The two fight­ers had been due to fight each other in Las Ve­gas on May 5 be­fore the mid­dleweight bout was can­celled af­ter Al­varez failed two drug tests.

So uni­fied mid­dleweight world cham­pion Golovkin in­stead fought Vanes Mar­tirosyan on May 5 in a one-sided fight that ended in less than two rounds.

Mar­tirosyan, who hadn’t fought in nearly two years, barely landed a punch on Golovkin, who scored a vi­cious knock­out at StubHub Cen­ter in Los An­ge­les.

Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) and Al­varez fought to a con­tro­ver­sial draw in their first meet­ing in Septem­ber in a fight that gen­er­ated 1.3 mil­lion pay-per-view buys and a $27 mil­lion gate — the third largest in box­ing his­tory. Many thought Golovkin won the fight but one judge scored it even and the other two were split be­tween giv­ing it to Golovkin and Al­varez.

With Al­varez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) free to fight once his six-month sus­pen­sion ends in Au­gust, the two ri­vals had been ex­pected to fight again in Septem­ber.

But talks stalled be­cause Al­varez’s camp were re­port­edly not happy with mid­dleweight world cham­pion Golovkin’s in­sis­tence on re­ceiv­ing a 50/50 split in rev­enues.

Reuters-Yon­hap

Mid­dleweight boxer Canelo Al­varez, left, of Mex­ico and WBC/WBA/IBF mid­dleweight cham­pion Gen­nady Golovkin of Kaza­khstan face off dur­ing a news con­fer­ence at MGM Grand ho­tel and casino in Las Ve­gas, Ne­vada in this Septem­ber 2017 file photo.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Korea, Republic

© PressReader. All rights reserved.