West Gate of Gyeongbok Palace
Guests at the gate opening ceremony of Yeongchu Gate, the west gate of Gyeongbok Palace, celebrate the re-opening of the gate after 43 years. The original gate was destroyed during the 1592-98 Imjin War and restored during the major reconstruction of the palace in the 19th century, but it was demolished in 1926 to make way for streetcar routes. The gate was restored once again in 1975, but people were not allowed to use it. From 2011 to 2014, it was used as an exit-only gate. With the opening of the Yeongchu Gate, Gyeongbok Palace is now accessible from all four directions — including Gwanghwamun to the south, Sinmu Gate to the north and the National Folk Museum of Korea entrance to the east.