Domingo departs Met Opera amid inquiry
NEW YORK (AP) — The Metropolitan Opera announced Tuesday that Placido Domingo had agreed to withdraw from his slate of scheduled performances at the opera house following allegations of sexual harassment made by multiple women in two Associated Press stories. The opera legend indicated that he would never again perform at the Met.
Domingo had been scheduled to sing the title role in the season premiere of Verdi’s “Macbeth” on Wednesday night, which would have been his first performance in the United States since the AP reported that numerous women had accused him of inappropriate behavior, including one soprano who said he grabbed her bare breast.
The Met had been under increasing pressure to cancel Domingo’s six scheduled appearances, but general manager Peter Gelb reiterated to performers after a dress rehearsal Saturday that the opera house was awaiting results of investigations by the LA Opera, where Domingo has been general director since 2003, and the American Guild of Musical Artists, the union that represents various opera staff.
Domingo, who had sung in rehearsals, issued a statement saying his Met career was over after what the company said was 706 performances as a singer, plus 169 as a conductor.
“I made my debut at the Metropolitan Opera at the age of 27 and have sung at this magnificent theater for 51 consecutive, glorious years,” the star said. “While I strongly dispute recent allegations made about me, and I am concerned about a climate in which people are condemned without due process, upon reflection, I believe that my appearance in this production of ‘Macbeth’ would distract from the hard work of my colleagues both on stage and behind the scenes.
“As a result, I have asked to withdraw,” he added, “and I thank the leadership of the Met for graciously granting my request. I am happy that, at the age of 78, I was able to sing the wonderful title role in the dress rehearsal of ‘Macbeth,’ which I consider my last performance on the Met stage.”
In its statement, the Met said the long-married, Spanish-born superstar had “agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Met, effective immediately.”
Gelb sent an email to the Met staff saying, “We are grateful to him for recognizing that he needed to step down.”
The Philadelphia Orchestra, San Francisco Opera and Dallas Opera previously canceled upcoming concerts starring Domingo after the AP stories were published. But his reception has been far different in Europe, where he received lengthy ovations after concert performances of Verdi’s “Luisa Miller” at the Salzburg Festival in Austria on Aug. 25 and 31, just weeks after the initial AP story.
One of Domingo’s accusers, Patricia Wulf, called Domingo’s withdrawal from the Met “such a relief.”
“I feel like we accomplished something,” said Wulf, who accused Domingo of repeatedly harassing her during performances at Washington Opera in the late 1990s, while he was general director of the company.
“The Met finally stepped up and did the right thing,” she told the AP.
In addition to announcing Domingo’s withdrawal, Gelb said the Met was suspending tenor Vittorio Grigolo pending the outcome of an investigation opened Tuesday by the Royal Opera in London, which said he was alleged to be involved in a Sept. 18 incident when he sang the title role in Gounod’s “Faust” on tour in Tokyo.
Placido Domingo performs during a dress rehearsal of Giuseppe Verdi’s “Stiffelio” at the Metropolitan Opera in New York in this 1993 file photo.