Prosecutors to reduce ‘direct investigations’
Prosecutors announced a plan Thursday to reduce direct investigation of major cases as part of efforts to protect the public’s rights.
“We will move to minimize our direct probe capacity in countering major crimes such as (those related to the) economy, corruption, public affairs, the defense industry and elections that threaten the lives and safety of the public and disrupt the socioeconomic order of society,” the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office said in a statement.
The prosecution also said it will revamp its press policy so that high-ranking prosecutors or human rights officers can oversee media-related affairs while prosecutors probing the case solely focus on the investigation.
Currently, prosecutors who are looking into a case are also responsible for media communications, raising concerns about the fairness of the practice and the risk it may infringe on the rights of suspects before they are proven guilty.
The announcement is the latest in the investigative agency’s self-reform efforts. Earlier this month, the prosecution unveiled plans to ban late-night questionings and public summons.