Actor Cuba Gooding Jr. faces new charges in groping case
NEW YORK (AFP) — Oscar-winning actor Cuba Gooding Jr. — facing trial over accusations he groped a woman in New York — is to be slapped with a new, unspecified charge, prosecutors said Thursday.
The “Jerry Maguire” star will be arraigned in a state criminal court next week to hear the indictment against him, a judge ruled.
Gooding’s trial over allegations he grabbed the woman’s breast without her consent in a Manhattan bar on a night out in June was due to start on Thursday.
But the case was adjourned to Oct. 15 after prosecutors said they had filed new charges against the 51-year-old.
Assistant District Attorney Jenna Long told a court in New York that the indictment covered the original accusation as well as a “previously uncharged incident.” It is not clear if the alleged victim is the same woman who made the original complaint.
The nature of the new charge will not be revealed until the arraignment.
Gooding, 51, was originally charged with forcible touching, a crime that can come with a sentence of up to a year in prison if convicted. He denied the allegation. Gooding won an Academy Award in 1997 for his performance as a football player in “Jerry Maguire.”
He recently played OJ Simpson in “The People vs OJ Simpson: American Crime Story.”
Cuba Gooding Jr.