Guilt free desserts with Healthbox
For many people, eating dessert comes with a feeling of guilt. However, food restrictions can sometimes lead to more cravings which end up by a binge-eating episode and putting on weight again. You can still enjoy yummy and good desserts by watching the quality and quantity of sweets you eat, hence making them more nutritious for your body and less caloric.
Here are some healthy tips to follow:
1. Control your portion size: anything bigger than the palm of your hand is too much.
2. Control the fat content: replace bad fats such as butter, shortening or lard with good fats such as peanut butter, almond powder, vegetable oil, etc.
3. Replace heavy cream and whole fat milk with skim milk or low-fat yogurt.
4. Substitute milk and sweetened chocolate with dark chocolate. 5. Cut back on total sugar by one third. 6. Replace half of the sugar with a sugar substitute that is suitable for baking.
7. Use sweet-tasting fruit, such as ripe bananas, to replace half the sugar.
8. Rely on spices or flavors that enhance sweetness, such as cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, orange, cocoa powder and nutmeg. You can also use honey and agave as natural sugars.
9. Bake with whole-wheat flour instead of white flour.