Cocktail Desserts with Nicolas Audi, Rouba Khalil and Karine Zablit
What better way to sneak in that 5 o'clock cocktail than by pouring into a scrumptious sweet
Trendy chocolate, pan-fried pears flambé with cognac
INGREDIENTS MACADEMIA BROWNIE
• 40g egg yolks • 10g caster sugar • 100g dark chocolate 66 % • 90g butter • 70g egg whites • 10g caster sugar • 25g flour • 35g chopped macademia nuts In a mixer, beat the yolks with the first amount of sugar to a sabayon texture. Mix the melted chocolate and the softened butter. Whisk the egg whites with the second quantity of caster sugar. Mix the sabayon and the chocolate and butter mixture, then add the whipped egg whites and the flour. Place in 16cm diameter circle and sprinkle with chopped macademia nuts. Cook in a convection oven at 175ºc for about 18 minutes.
CRÈME BRULÉE VANILLE COGNAC
• 190g whipping cream UHT • 50g whole eggs • 20g eggs yolk • 35g caster sugar • ½ vanilla pod • 4g gelatin • 22g cognac Make a custard with the cream, eggs, egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla pod, and cook to 84ºc. Allow to cool and then add the cognac and gelatin. Place in 16cm circle film or flexipan disc molds. Place in freezer.
DARK AND MILK CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
• 120g egg yolk • 40g water • 160g sugar • 150g milk chocolate 45% • 300g dark chocolate 70% • 900g whipped cream Make a bomb mixture. In saucepan, cook the water and the sugar to 118ºc, pour the egg yolks in the mixer and continue beating until reach 45ºc. Melt chocolate together to 35ºc with a quarter of a whipped cream. Add the bomb mixture at 35ºc, then the rest of the whipped cream. Set aside for assembly.
PAN FRIED PEARS
• 750g ripe pears • 90g caster sugar • 45g butter • 50g cognac 50 % • 1 cinnamon stick Cut the pears into thin slices. Melt the butter and caster sugar in a frying pan. Add the pears and fry until just cooked with the cinnamon stick. Flambé with the cognac. Remove the stick, pour the pears into a sieve and leave to cool on baking sheet. Set aside for assembly.
WHITE MIRROR ICING
• 150g water • 300g glucose • 300g caster sugar • 200g sweetened condensed milk • 24g gelatin • 300g white chocolate • 4g white colorant Cook the water, caster sugar and glucose to 102ºc. Pour over the sweetened condensed milk and the gelatin, and then lastly over the white chocolate and white colorant. Refrigerate overnight. The following day, heat the glaze to 40ºc and let cool to 35ºc before use.
On a baking tray covered with a plastic sheet, line 18cm-diameter, 4.5 cm-high cake rings with dark and milk chocolate mousse. Place a macademia brownie in the bottom of the ring, cover with a thin layer of double chocolate mousse. Arrange the pears and cover with chocolate mousse. Add the crème brûlée vanille-cognac. Smooth with the rest of the mousse. Place in freezer for 6 hours. Remove the desserts from mold and glaze them with the white mirror icing. Decorate with baby pears and chocolate decorations.