The Daily Star (Lebanon)

Iran Embassy in Ankara receives Daesh suicide bomb threat

-

ANKARA: An individual who claimed to have links to Daesh (ISIS) extremist group threatened to attack the Iranian Embassy in Ankara, Tehran’s envoy in Turkey said Monday, denying Turkish media reports that he had been evacuated.

“The suicide attack against the embassy was only a threat,” Ambassador Mohammad Ebrahim Taherian Fard said. “Nothing significan­t has happened and things are under control.”

“The threat was made by someone who introduced himself as linked to Daesh,” Fard said, quoted by state news agency IRNA.

Turkish media said Fard had been evacuated but the ambassador and Tehran flatly denied the report as a complete fabricatio­n.

“Such a claim is a sheer lie, and the personnel at our embassy are present at their workplace in full health and security,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement on its website.

Earlier Monday, DHA news agency said Iran’s mission in the Turkish capital had been given an intelligen­ce warning about a possible suicide bomb attack. The road by the embassy was shut off and police could be seen searching cars in the area, an AFP photograph­er said.

Ambassador Fard also said Turkish police “intensifie­d security measures” around Tehran’s mission in Ankara in response to the threat.

In 2015 and 2016, Turkey was hit by a series of terror attacks which were blamed on both Kurdish militants and Daesh.

The last attack blamed on Daesh was in January 2017 when a gunman killed 39 people at an elite Istanbul nightclub on New Year. –

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Lebanon