PLACES OF INTEREST
At the top of the hill in Kuala Selangor is Kota Malawati, an ancient fort built by the Melaka Sultanate in the early 16th century.
The Dutch conquered Kuala Selangor in 1784 and took control of the fort, reinforcing it with cannons and renaming it to Fort Altingsburg after Willem Arnold Alting, who was Governorgeneral of the Dutch East Indies in the late 1700s. A year later, the fortress was recaptured by Sultan Ibrahim in a single night, a major victory for the locals against a foreign power. The fortress was later destroyed by fighting for tin resources during the Selangor Civil War from 1867 to 1874, and the site was later taken over by the British.
On top of Malawati Hill stands a majestic lighthouse that was built in the year 1907. It is so well maintained that the lighthouse is still used to guide ships that sail along the Melaka Straits, and is lit up daily from 7pm to 6am.