Semifreddo Chocolate Brownie
This treat from Foo Foo is sweetened with honey, and provides the perfect contrast of textures in brownie and semifreddo, highlighted by the sublime crispness of pralines. The tang of fruit perfectly adds a different dimension of flavour.
For flourless chocolate brownie
• 360 g salted butter
• 250 g dark couverture chocolate 60%
• 160 g soft brown sugar
• 200 g caster sugar
• 60 g honey
• 4 g instant coffee powder
• 400 g eggs
• ½ tsp vanilla paste
• 200 g sour cream
• 120 g cocoa powder
• 250 g ground hazelnuts
• 150 g chocolate chips
For caramel nuts
• 120 g toasted pecans
• 120 g toasted almonds
• 120 g toasted cashews
• 360 g sugar
• 270 g egg whites
• 290 g honey
• 900 g whipping cream 35% fat
• 120 g icing sugar
To make flourless brownie
1. In a large bowl over simmering water, melt together butter, chocolate, sugar, honey, and coffee.
2. Whisk in eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. 3. Fold in dry ingredients. Pour into a roll cake tray and spread evenly.
4. Bake in an oven preheated at 180˚C for 35 – 40 minutes.
To make caramel nuts
1. Heat sugar until slightly amber. Pour in toasted nuts and mix well to combine.
2. Allow to cool slightly in tray, then blend coarsely in food processor.
3. Set aside until needed.
To make semifreddo
1. Whip together cream and icing sugar until soft
peaks form. Set aside. 2. In separate bowl, heat honey to 120˚C. 3. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy with an electric mixer. Add in honey and continue to whisk at high speed. 4. Reduce the speed to medium and continue to whisk until the meringue comes to room temperature.
5. Fold whipped cream into the cooled meringue. Then fold in caramelised nuts.
6. Scoop mixture into 3-inch individual mousse rings. Freeze overnight.
1. Cut chilled brownie into 3-inch rounds using the semifreddo mousse rings. 2. Remove semifreddo from moulds and stack semifreddo on top of the brownie.
3. Top with fruit of choice and serve immediately.