New Straits Times

‘Claims of 300,000 state­less In­di­ans un­true’

- Crime

KUAN­TAN: Only 12,000 from the In­dian com­mu­nity have ap­plied for iden­ti­fi­ca­tion doc­u­ments un­der the MyDaftar pro­gramme since 2012.

This runs con­trary to claims by the op­po­si­tion that there are about 300,000 “state­less” In­di­ans in the coun­try.

Na­tional Regis­tra­tion De­part­ment (NRD) di­rec­tor-gen­eral Datuk Mohd Yazid Ramli said al­most 7,000 of the ap­pli­ca­tions had been ap­proved, while the rest were be­ing pro­cessed.

“Some quar­ters had claimed that al­most 300,000 peo­ple did not have iden­ti­fi­ca­tion doc­u­ments.

“But since 2012, the pro­gramme only saw around 12,000 ap­pli­ca­tions. For this month, NRD is han­dling 1,800 new ap­pli­ca­tions.

“We will scru­ti­nise all ap­pli­ca­tions and en­sure ap­pli­cants have the sup­port­ing doc­u­ments, be­fore we can process and is­sue iden­ti­fi­ca­tion doc­u­ments to qual­i­fied in­di­vid­u­als,” he said at the NRD of­fice here yes­ter­day.

Mohd Yazid said that the im­ple­men­ta­tion of the Mega MyDaftar cam­paign since June 5 saw a to­tal of 1,813 peo­ple turn­ing up at the NRD of­fices na­tion­wide to ap­ply.

He said out of that num­ber, only 277 ap­pli­ca­tions were com­plete, 518 were in­com­plete while 1,018 in­di­vid­u­als came seek­ing clar­i­fi­ca­tion on the process.

Mean­while, Spe­cial Im­ple­men­ta­tion Task­force on In­dian Com­mu­nity (SITF) man­ager G.K. Anan­dan said the govern­ment should not be blamed over the is­sue of “state­less” In­di­ans.

“Peo­ple should re­alise the im­por­tance of iden­ti­fi­ca­tion doc­u­ments.

“We are here to help, so make an ef­fort to do the nec­es­sary.

An ap­pli­cant, A. Gane­san, from Panch­ing here, hoped he would be able to se­cure a birth cer­tifi­cate for his 3-year-old son, Baskaran, based on doc­u­ments pro­vided by the hospi­tal where he was born.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia