New Straits Times

SEPARATE MACC PROBES ON UNDERSEA TUNNEL, BRIBERY ALLEGATION­S

They are unrelated, says Azam Baki

- MUHAMMAD YUSRI MUZAMIR

THE Malaysian AntiCorrup­tion Commission will conduct separate investigat­ions into the Penang undersea tunnel project and the two people who allegedly received bribes to cover up the commission’s probe into the RM6.3 billion mega project.

MACC deputy chief commission­er (operations) Datuk Seri Azam Baki said the probe into the two individual­s, who were said to have received RM22 million, were unrelated to the probe into the tunnel project.

“These two cases are unrelated as the two individual­s were alleged to have received money as a bribe to close the commission’s probe into the project.

“As such, it is logical that the investigat­ions are done separately,” he told the New Straits Times Press.

On Saturday, a businessma­n with a Datuk title was remanded for four days by the magistrate’s court in Putrajaya to assist a probe into a bribery case involving RM3 million, allegedly to cover up the MACC probe into the Penang government project.

It is understood that the suspect had allegedly received the money from the main project contractor via four transactio­ns last year, after the suspect had claimed he was able to “settle” the investigat­ion.

The suspect had asked for RM4 million, but negotiatio­ns reduced it to RM3 million.

He is the second person to be remanded in the case after a Datuk Seri was accused of receiving RM19 million for the same purpose.

MACC has recorded statements from 127 witnesses to aid its probe into the project.

Azam said the commission might collaborat­e with private consultant­s on the probe.

He said more witnesses had been identified.

 ??  ?? Datuk Seri Azam Baki
Datuk Seri Azam Baki

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia