New Straits Times
Azeez to sue those linking him to project
BAYAN LEPAS: Umno Supreme Council member Datuk Seri Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim will initiate legal action against those linking his name to the Penang undersea tunnel project.
This was following allegations that he received RM3 million from Consortium Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd for consultancy work related to the project.
Azeez said although Consortium Zenith had since withdrawn the claims and apologised to him on Saturday, he would take legal action to protect the institutions he represented.
“I am discussing with my lawyer before taking action against those who reported the matter and linked me to the tunnel project.
“I need to protect the institutions I represent, especially Tabung Haji and Umno.
“All this was done to tarnish my image,” he said at the Tabung Haji Complex here yesterday.
He had been linked to the RM3 million payment by a construction company to settle a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) investigation into the proposed RM6.3 billion mega project.
He said Consortium Zenith, in its withdrawal and apology notice, had denied his involvement in the project and was prepared to help clear his name.
“I am a victim of ‘name selling’. Even Consortium Zenith has admitted to it. I warn all quarters to refrain from slander as I will fight them one by one.”
Legal representatives of Consortium Zenith said they could not comment on the matter as it was under MACC investigation.