New Straits Times
COURT TELLS ACTOR NOT TO TALK ABOUT CASE
Farid Kamil’s lawyer apologises to court over actor’s media conference last week
ACTOR and director Datuk Farid Kamil Zahari was told by the magistrate’s court here to not issue any statement on his court case.
Magistrate Nor Ariffin Hisham told off the 37-year-old when the case came up for mention yesterday.
“The court takes into account a statement by the accused recently, so the court wants to give the accused a reminder. It is hoped that the accused and the relevant parties will not issue or make any statement on the court case,” Nor Ariffin said.
He also reminded counsel to look into the matter.
The judge was referring to a media conference that Farid Kamil called at The Loft Event Space in Setia Alam last Wednesday.
Farid Kamil’s lawyer, Faizul Mohd Nasir, apologised to the court and said the media conference did not directly refer to the case.
The court set May 7 for case management.
On Jan 16, Farid Kamil pleaded not guilty to four charges, including voluntarily causing hurt to a private firm’s accounts executive and a policeman at the Kota Damansara traffic police station.
In the first two charges, he was accused of assaulting accounts executive Ashraf Ahmad, 35, and constable Muhammad Nizam Jamaluddin, 24, at 1.20pm on Jan 11.
The charge, under Section 323 of the Penal Code, provides for up to a year’s jail, a RM2,000 fine, or both, upon conviction.
In the third charge, he was accused of using criminal force to prevent Nizam from carrying out his duty as a public servant at the same place, time and date, under Section 353 of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum two years’ jail, a fine, or both, upon conviction.
In the fourth charge, Farid Kamil was accused of disorderly conduct at the police station by hurling insults at Nizam, under Section 90 of the Police Act 1967, which carries a maximum fine of RM500, up to six months’ jail, or both, upon conviction.
On Jan 25, Farid Kamil pleaded not guilty to a charge of using the THC drug.