What is body-checking?
“Body-checking is an obsessive behaviour in which an individual focuses on certain features of his or her body, often multiple times a day,” explains Dr. Beresin. Body-checking behaviours include:
• Checking the size of one’s stomach, legs, or other parts of the body. This includes pinching “fat.”
• Weighing oneself multiple times a day.
• Frequently looking in the mirror in different outfits.
• Focusing on how clothes feel, such as pants being too tight.
• Comparing one’s perception of their body shape with others around them.
• Obsessively taking measurements of one’s waist, arms, legs, etc.