1. What is the main idea of the fourth paragraph? a. Running is one way to keep your body healthy. b. You don’t need expensive equipment to be a runner. c. Running for fun is better than running in a competition. d. There are many running clubs and teams you can become involved in.
2. Benefits of Running for the Health and Mind (Find four benefits mentioned in the passage)
3. What is the author’s main purpose for writing this passage? a. to give historical information about runners b. to teach readers how to become great runners c. to persuade readers to try running d. to compare and contrast running and watching television
4. Tell whether each sentence is a fact or opinion. Write the word fact or opinion on each sentence. Running is not an easy sport.
Many schools offer cross country or track programmes.
Running develops coordination and makes you more aware of your body.
Vocabulary Activity Match each vocabulary word on the left with its definition on the right.
3. immune system
a. long-distance running race
b. protects your body from bacteria and disease
d. body organ that puts oxygen into your blood
e. ability to think deeply
f. ability to move your body’s muscles skilfully
g. muscle that pumps blood through your body
Use a vocabulary word from the list to complete each sentence.
8. Drinking juice with vitamin C strengthens your ................
9. When Joey said he could run 50 miles, his friend said, “That’s not .................”
10. I could barely breathe when I finished running the ................
11. The nurse was monitoring her patient’s ............... rate.
12. The writer was lost in .................... as he thought about what he will write next.