The Borneo Post (Sabah)

US to pull troops from Afghanista­n by Sept 11

-

WASHINGTON: President Joe Biden will formally announce Wednesday the withdrawal of all US troops from Afghanista­n before this year’s 20th anniversar­y of the Sept 11 attacks, finally ending America’s longest war despite mounting fears of a Taliban victory, officials said.

The drawdown delays only by around five months an agreement with the Taliban by former president Donald Trump to pull troops, amid a growing consensus in Washington that little more can be achieved.

The decision came as Turkey announced an internatio­nal peace conference on Afghanista­n in hopes of reaching an agreement that brings stability to a nation battered by nearly 40 years of war.

But the Taliban, newly emboldened, said they would boycott the conference.

Biden, who will make a formal announceme­nt on the US plans later Wednesday, had earlier mused about keeping a residual force to strike at Al-Qaeda or an emergent Islamic State extremist threat, or making withdrawal contingent on progress on the ground or in slow-moving peace talks.

In the end, he decided to do neither and will order a complete withdrawal other than limited US personnel to guard the US installati­ons — including the imposing embassy in Kabul, a senior official said.

“The president has judged that a conditions-based approach, which has been the approach of the past two decades, is a recipe for staying in Afghanista­n forever,” the official told reporters on condition of anonymity.

German Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbaue­r said Wednesday that Nato would likely join the US in withdrawin­g its troops by September.

“We always said: we’ll go in together, we’ll leave together,” she told ARD public television.

“I am for an orderly withdrawal and that is why I assume that we will agree to that today,” she added, referring to a Nato defence and foreign ministers video conference planned for later.

Britain is also preparing to follow suit in pulling its troops out by the same date, according to a report Wednesday that was not denied by the government.

The Times newspaper said Britain would withdraw its roughly 750 troops, citing sources as saying “they would struggle without American support because of a reliance on US bases and infrastruc­ture.”

Under the Trump administra­tion’s February 2020 deal with the Taliban, all US troops would leave by May 2021 in return for the insurgents’ promise not to back al-Qaeda and other foreign extremists — the original reason for the 2001 invasion.

The Biden official said the withdrawal would begin in May and that the delay was largely logistical, with troops possibly out of Afghanista­n well before Sept 11.

The official warned the Taliban — who are observing a truce with US but not with Afghan forces — not to strike coalition forces as they leave, saying that in response to any attack “we will hit back hard.”

Fighting will likely grind on. A threat assessment report published Tuesday by the director of national intelligen­ce said the Taliban “is confident it can achieve military victory.”

Afghan civilians have long paid a disproport­ionate price in the fighting, and the rise of the Taliban has raised particular fears among many Afghan women.

The Taliban, who enforce an austere brand of Sunni Islam, banned women from schools, offices, music and most of daily life during their 1996-2001 rule over much of Afghanista­n.

Two decades later, 40 per cent of schoolchil­dren are girls.

The Biden official said the United States would use nonmilitar­y ‘tools at our disposal’ to promote women’s rights including bolstering civilian assistance.

A decade ago, the United States had about 100,000 troops in Afghanista­n as part of a ‘surge’ strategy by then-president Barack Obama to defeat the Taliban.

The troop figure by the end of Trump’s presidency had gone down to 2,500 as support for military action waned. As of February this year, Nato had around 10,000 service members in the country.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia