Turkey shares record­ings linked to Khashoggi mur­der

The Borneo Post - - WORLD -

ANKARA: Turkey has shared record­ings linked to the mur­der last month of jour­nal­ist Ja­mal Khashoggi with Riyadh, Wash­ing­ton and other cap­i­tals, Pres­i­dent Re­cep Tayyip Er­do­gan said yes­ter­day.

“We gave the record­ings, we gave them to Saudi Ara­bia, we gave them to Wash­ing­ton, to the Ger­mans, to the French, to the English,” he said in a tele­vised speech.

“They lis­tened to the con­ver­sa­tions which took place here, they know”, he said, but added that they were not ac­com­pa­nied by any writ­ten doc­u­ments.

Khashoggi was last seen en­ter­ing the con­sulate on Oct 2 to ob­tain doc­u­ments for his forth­com­ing mar­riage.

Af­ter re­peated de­nials, Saudi Ara­bia fi­nally ad­mit­ted the 59year-old had been mur­dered at the mis­sion in a ‘rogue’ op­er­a­tion.

How­ever, Er­do­gan has ac­cused the ‘high­est lev­els’ of the Saudi gov­ern­ment of order­ing the hit, while some of­fi­cials have pointed the fin­ger at the all-pow­er­ful Crown Prince Mo­hammed Sal­man.

Some Turk­ish me­dia and of­fi­cials have said that Ankara pos­sessed an au­dio record­ing of the mur­der and it had shared it with the head of the CIA Gina Haspel when she vis­ited Turkey in late Oc­to­ber.

But the ex­is­tence of such a record­ing has never been of­fi­cially con­firmed.

Khashoggi’s body has never been found, more than a month af­ter he was killed.

An ad­vi­sor to Er­do­gan, Yasin Ak­tay, sug­gested last week that the body may have been dis­solved in acid.

Er­do­gan was speak­ing be­fore fly­ing to Paris to at­tend com­mem­o­ra­tions mark­ing the an­niver­sary of the end of World War I. — AFP

File photo shows Syr­ian chil­dren rid­ing in the back of a truck loaded with fur­ni­ture and a mo­tor­cy­cle, driv­ing along the main Da­m­as­cusAleppo high­way near the town of Saraqib in Syria’s mostly rebel-held north­ern Idlib prov­ince. — AFP photo

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.