The Star Malaysia - Star2
A specialist institute for the maritime sector
UNIVERSITI Kuala Lumpur Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology (UniKL MIMET) aims to support the university’s vision and mission of becoming the premier entrepreneurial technical university and to produce enterprising global technopreneurs by upgrading the skills of Malaysia’s workforce while generating skilled workers and technopreneurs.
The Bachelor of Maritime Operations (Hons) programme allows UniKL MIMET, as a specialist institute for the maritime sector, to achieve the objective of producing graduates to venture into the non-engineering areas of the industry.
Among others, this programme aims to produce graduates to be employed in the maritime industry sub-sectors that include shipping management, sea port operations, shipping and forwarding agencies, government law enforcement agencies, shipyard administration and other maritime ancillary services.
Courses offered in the Bachelor of Maritime Operations programme are grouped into five sub-areas – Maritime Transport Management, Shipyard Operations, Maritime Law Enforcement, Business Management as well as Marine Technology and Ocean Sciences. This will enable the various learning outcomes expected from the programme to be achieved.
The development of such a programme would not be possible without the support from players in the maritime industry. Therefore, an industrial panel was set up to assist UniKL in the development of this programme comprising representatives from the sea port, shipping company, shipyard, government agency and a senior academician from a reputable university.
The aims, objectives and learning outcomes of the programme are continually communicated to stakeholders through various means such as briefings for students and parents, meetings with industrial panels, briefings to the industry during industrial training sessions, UniKL and MIMET’s websites and programme books that are disseminated to all students.
The Bachelor of Maritime Operations (Hons) educational objectives are to produce graduates who:
– Are knowledgeable, competent and innovative, which will contribute towards human capital in the marine-related industry.
– Have effective leadership and teamwork skills as well as verbal, non-verbal and interpersonal communication skills to support their role in industry.
– Are committed to the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
– Will practise professionalism with ethics and social responsibility. – Are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities.
Graduates from the Bachelor of Maritime Operations (Hons) will have the opportunity to pursue a career in various fields such as:
– Maritime Cargo Analyst – Port Operator and Management – Coordinator Freight Services – Sales Operation Coordinator – Logistics Executive
– Ship’s Officer Maritime ■ For more details, visit www.unikl.ed.my or contact 05-690 9000.