The Star Malaysia - Star2

When medication is not the first step

-

IT’S rough for owners to see their beloved pet in pain.

A quick rummage through the medicine cabinet usually turns up something seemingly harmless, like ibuprofen or paracetamo­l, that should make your cat or dog feel slightly better again, right?

Absolutely not a good idea, say experts.

Ibuprofen or paracetamo­l, for example, can lead to severe poisoning in dogs or cats, says Germanybas­ed veterinari­an Sabrina Schneider.

There are serious consequenc­es for administer­ing the wrong medication to a pet, which in the worst case could be death.

Part of the reason is that animals have different dosage requiremen­ts than humans for their various illnesses. That’s why any medication should be given only after talking to a veterinari­an first.

That way owners can be sure that their pet is being given only an active substance approved for animals, according to Schneider.

If your vet’s office is closed, instead of reaching for the medicine cabinet, it’s better to reach for the phone: For such emergencie­s, there are often on-call veterinary services for weekends and nights. – dpa

 ??  ?? there are serious consequenc­es for administer­ing the wrong medication to a pet, which in the worst case could be death. — dpa
there are serious consequenc­es for administer­ing the wrong medication to a pet, which in the worst case could be death. — dpa

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia