No Malaysians reported hurt in northern Philippines
PUTRAJAYA: No Malaysians were reported hurt in the wake of Typhoon Mangkhut which made landfall in several areas in the Philippines on Saturday, Wisma Putra said.
In a statement released yesterday, it said the situation in the affected areas remained fragile, and all Malaysians were advised to defer non-essential travel.
“The areas most affected by the typhoon are in the northern part of Luzon, Philippines. Malaysians who are visiting or live in the affected areas are advised to be cautious and follow instructions from local authorities,” it added.
The statement also said the Malaysian Embassy in Manila together with the Consulate-General in Davao, Mindanao, are closely monitoring the situation.
Malaysians in the affected areas who require consular assistance should contact either the Malaysian Embassy in Manila or the ConsulateGeneral in Davao.
The Malaysia Embassy in Manila is at 107, Tordesillas Street, Salcedo Village, Makati City, 1227 Philippines.
Those who wish to call the embassy can reach them at +63 2 662 8200 and for after-working hours the telephone number is +63 917 864 0761. The embassy also can be reached by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Consulate-General in Davao is at 2nd Floor, Usman Building, Diho Subdivision Road, Buhangin, Davao City 8000 Philippines. The phone number for the ConsulateGeneral office is +63 82 221 4050 and +63 936 9684001 while the email address is email@example.com.
Meanwhile, a programme for a group of nine visiting Malaysian journalists on an eight-day visit was cancelled due to the typhoon which hit the port city in Guangdong province yesterday evening.
The delegation was scheduled to visit the Shekou Free Trade Area and Shenzhen Research Institute of Big Data yesterday, but the visit was cancelled for safety reasons.
This followed the precaution issued by the Shenzhen municipal government, requiring all companies and schools to stop operations.
According to a news portal, a red typhoon alert had been issued in Shenzhen, Dongguan, Zhuhai, Zhongshan and Jiangmen, while an orange warning had been issued in Huizhou, Foshan and Guangzhou.