El­derly cou­ple die in lux­ury high-rise blaze

The Star Malaysia - - World -

nEW YoRK: An el­derly Man­hat­tan cou­ple died in a blaze that en­gulfed their lux­ury high-rise apart­ment be­fore dawn and sent flames roar­ing out the win­dows.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors are look­ing into the pos­si­bil­ity that cig­a­rette smok­ing in bed may have caused the fire at the famed River House co-op on East 52nd Street.

Fire of­fi­cials say 85-year-old Mary Merow was pro­nounced dead at the scene. Her 89-year-old hus­band, John Merow, was rushed to Weill Cor­nell Med­i­cal Cen­ter but died of his in­juries.

Three fire­fight­ers were hos­pi­talised with non-life-threat­en­ing in­juries.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.