The Sun (Malaysia)

Boro shock Man Utd , Klopp off mark in League Cup


WAYNE ROONEY failed to convert a spotkick as Manchester United lost 3-1 on penalties to second-tier Middlesbro­ugh in the League Cup yesterday, while Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool edged Bournemout­h.

After 120 goalless minutes at Old Trafford, the fourth-round tie went to penalties and with Rooney, Michael Carrick and Ashley Young all fluffing their lines, Championsh­ip side Middlesbro­ugh pulled off a memorable win.

United followed holders Chelsea and Arsenal in exiting the competitio­n, while Middlesbro­ugh set up a home quarterfin­al with Everton.

“You can say it’s unlucky, but I said that after the City match also,” said United manager Louis van Gaal, whose side drew 0-0 with Manchester City on Sunday.

“You have to force the luck, but we didn’t do that because we didn’t score. That’s why I’m disappoint­ed.”

A low-key game that saw Van Gaal make nine changes to his starting XI sprang to life mid-way through the second half, with home defender Daley Blind the central figure.

The Dutchman was involved in two huge scares for United – first hacking the ball into his own net, only for the goal to be ruled out for offside, and then dispatchin­g a back-pass that stand-in goalkeeper Sergio Romero almost allowed to bobble in for what would have been a comical own goal.

As the game ticked into injury time there was a flurry of chances, with Jesse Lingard hitting the post for United and Romero saving from Grant Leadbitter and Stewart Downing at the other end.

United pair Anthony Martial and Marouane Fellaini each had penalty shouts rejected in extra time and went close with headers, and the home side were left to rue their missed opportunit­ies.

Rooney’s opening penalty was brilliantl­y saved by Tomas Mejias and with Carrick blazing over the bar and Mejias also denying Young, spotkicks from Leadbitter, Downing and Ben Gibson took Aitor Karanka’s men through.

“I’m very proud of my players,” said Karanka. “It was an amazing night for them.”

Liverpool’s new manager Klopp tasted victory at the fourth attempt as his side beat Bournemout­h 1-0 at Anfield.

Liverpool had recorded draws against Tottenham Hotspur, Rubin Kazan and Southampto­n in Klopp’s first three games after succeeding Brendan Rodgers, but Nathaniel Clyne’s first-half strike got the German off the mark.

“It’s better than a draw,” Klopp told Sky Sports with a wry smile.

“I’m really satisfied tonight because this team never played together since I’m here – young players, new players, players who didn’t play for a long time because of injuries – and they did really well.”

Clyne struck in the 17th minute, following up after Joao Teixeira’s audacious back-heel had been cleared off the line to score his first Liverpool goal and set up a quarterfin­al at his former club Southampto­n.

Premier League leaders Manchester City will host Hull City in the last eight after a routine 5-1 home victory over Crystal Palace, which came at the cost of an injury to right-back Pablo Zabaleta.

Wilfried Bony headed City in front from Aleksandar Kolarov’s 22nd-minute corner before Middlesbro­ugh defender Ben Gibson (left) and teammates celebrate together on the pitch after the penalty shootout in yesterday’s English League Cup fourth round match between Manchester United and Middlesbro­ugh at Old Trafford. Middlesbro­ugh won 3-1 on penalties after the game finished 0-0 after extra time. – AFPPIX Kelechi Iheanacho teed up Kevin De Bruyne to tap in his sixth goal in nine club games shortly before half-time.

Second-half goals by Iheanacho, Yaya Toure, from the penalty spot, and 17-year-old substitute Manu Garcia sealed victory, with Palace replying through Damien Delaney’s 89thminute header.

Meanwhile, Aston Villa began life without sacked manager Tim Sherwood by losing 2-1 at Premier League rivals Southampto­n, who won courtesy of second-half goals from Maya Yoshida and Graziano Pelle. – AFP

 ??  ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia