The Sun (Malaysia)

RM231m spent so far on the two MAS tragedies

-

THE government has spent RM231.45 million in the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, and RM12.87 million for the Flight MH17 tragedy as of October 2015.

In a written parliament­ary reply, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said, however, the whole cost of MH370’s search cannot be determined as operations are still ongoing.

Liow was answering an oral question by Teresa Kok (DAP-Seputeh), who asked for amounts spent so far on the MH370 and MH17 incidents and compensati­on paid to victims’ next of kin.

He said 236 MH17 next of kin and 74 MH370 next of kin have been awarded US$16.6 million (RM71 million) in total so far, the amount determined based on the Montreal Convention, subject to proof of loss by each passenger.

Additional­ly, Liow said, Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS), now Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB), had offered US$50,000 to the next of kin in both incidents as advanced compensati­on payment.

He noted that the advanced payment is considered as part of the full compensati­on amount.

MH370 disappeare­d on March 8, 2014 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, and was presumed lost in the southern Indian Ocean along with 239 passengers and crew.

MH17 was shot down over eastern Ukraine while en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur on July 17, 2014, killing all 298 passengers and crew.

An investigat­ion report released by Dutch authoritie­s recently confirmed that the aircraft was brought down by a Russian-made BUK surface-to-air missile but did not name those who fired it.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia