CARAMEL MUD LAYER CAKE
Prep 25 mins + cooling / Cook 1.5 hours / Serves 12
500g unsalted butter, softened
500g white chocolate, chopped
2½ cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 cups hot water
¼ cup golden syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2½ cups plain flour
2½ cups self-raising flour Vienna almonds (see tip), edible flowers, to serve
250g unsalted butter, softened
3 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted
¼ cup milk
2 drops pink food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease two 20cm round deep cake pans. Line the bases and sides with baking paper.
2. In a large, heavy-based saucepan, combine the butter, chocolate, sugar, water and syrup. Stir over a low heat until smooth and combined (do not boil). Transfer to a bowl. Allow to cool.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and vanilla into the mixture. Fold in the combined sifted flours. Divide the mixture evenly between pans.
4. Bake for 1 hour and 30 mins until cooked when tested. Cool in pan for 10 mins before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Use a serrated knife to level the cakes. Halve each cake horizontally.
6. BUTTERCREAM: In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until pale. Gradually add half the icing sugar until combined. Beat in milk and remaining icing sugar until smooth. Transfer half the icing to a bowl and tint it pale pink with a little food colouring.
7. Sandwich the cakes with untinted buttercream. Using pink buttercream, roughly ice around the top and sides.
8. Serve the cake topped with Vienna almonds and edible flowers.