Dessert + Co ee
Heading for a midday or mid-afternoon break? These sweet, decadent treats will go so well with your favourite hot drink
Recipes for decadent treats you simply have to try
MOCHA CRÈME BOMBOLONI Prep 30 mins | Cook 10 mins | Serves 20
2 cups bread our 2 eggs 1/3 cup warm water 2 tbsps caster sugar, plus 1 cup extra 7g sachet dry yeast
1 tsp sea salt akes
75g butter, softened, cubed Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
½ tsp ground cinnamon
MOCHA CRÈME PATISSERIE
2 cups milk
1½ tbsp instant co ee powder 1 tsp vanilla bean paste ½ cup caster sugar 4 egg yolks ¼ cup corn our 100g dark chocolate, melted 30g butter, softened
1 tbsp co ee liqueur
1 cup brown sugar ½ cup thickened cream 60g unsalted butter
1. In an electric mixer tted with a dough hook, combine our, eggs, water, sugar, yeast and salt on low, then knead on medium for 5 mins.
2. With the motor running, add the butter 1 cube at a time, kneading between each addition (about 5 mins), until dough is smooth and shiny. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside for 1 hour until dough has doubled in size.
3. MOCHA CRÈME PATISSERIE. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat milk, co ee powder and vanilla on medium until simmering. Set aside 10 mins.
4. Strain through a ne sieve. In a bowl, whisk sugar, yolks and corn our together until pale. Gradually whisk in warm milk until smooth.
5. Return to clean saucepan. Cook on low, whisking until mixture is simmering. Whisk in chocolate, butter and liqueur. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, chill until rm.
6. Punch dough down. Transfer to a lightly oured surface. Line 2 trays with baking paper. Roll 2 tsps mixture into balls and place on a lined tray. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place 45 mins until doubled in size.
7. CARAMEL SAUCE. In a saucepan, stir all ingredients together on low until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and allow to simmer 3 mins.
8. In a large saucepan, heat the oil until a little dough sizzles when added (180°C). Working in three batches, deep-fry doughnuts 30-40 secs, turning until pu ed and golden. Drain on paper towel. Toss in combined extra sugar and cinnamon to coat.
9. Whisk the mocha crème until smooth. Transfer to a large piping bag tted with a small nozzle. Cut a small cross in the side of each doughnut. Pipe in lling. Serve drizzled with caramel sauce.