PRAWN, TAMARIND & COCONUT CURRY
Prep 20 mins | Cook 40 mins | Serves 4
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 bird’s eye chilli, seeded, nely chopped 1cm knob ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, nely chopped
12 curry leaves
400g can diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 tsp ground paprika
270ml can coconut cream
2 tbsps tamarind concentrate
1 tsp brown sugar
1kg green prawns, peeled, tails on
1 cup pineapple, chopped
100g sugar snap peas, trimmed Shredded coconut, steamed Basmati rice, to serve
1. Heat a small frying pan on low, toast cumin seeds for 1-2 mins. Use a mortar and pestle to crush seeds with chilli, ginger and garlic. Pound well into a rough paste.
2. In a heavy-based frying pan, heat oil on medium. Saute onion for 4-5 mins until tender. Add the curry leaves and cook for 1-2 mins until lightly toasted. Reserve half leaves to serve.
3. Stir spice paste, tomatoes, water and paprika through. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 mins until liquid reduces by half.
4. Mix in the coconut cream, tamarind and sugar. Simmer for 4-5 mins until slightly thickened.
5. Add prawns to simmering sauce and cook, stirring, 2 mins. Stir in pineapple and sugar snap peas, cooking a further 1-2 mins, to just heat through.
6. To serve, scatter the reserved toasted curry leaves and coconut on top. Accompany with basmati rice.