- OSCILLATION YOGA Rev your body’s engine by participating in a Dynamic Vinyasa Flow class at Oscillation Yoga, a partner of Hotel Stripes Kuala Lumpur. Classes take place in the light-filled, ultra-modern studio.
- SIN HUA BEE BAKERY Dash across to the district of Chow Kit and seek out Sin Hua Bee Bakery, with its turquoise shelves and large glass jars of biscuits on display. Sample the traditional Chinese wedding biscuits, which remain a sought-after speciality of this family-run bakery by the city’s newlyweds.
- AH LOKE TAILOR Swing by for a spot of sartorial chatter with the second-generation owner of Ah Loke Tailor, the gentle and soft-spoken Loke Kwong Yuen, and ask to peek at his selection of fine Italian wools.
- MAN TAO BAR The poolside Man Tao Bar at Hotel Stripes boasts one of the loveliest views of the Malaysian capital, stretching from the tree canopies of Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve to the heights of the Petronas Twin Towers. Enjoy the evening sunset with a Tsingtao beer-laced cocktail and a selection of man tao buns. www.stripeskl.com
- LOKE MANSION Take a morning stroll to the beautifully restored Loke Mansion to get a sense of Kuala Lumpur’s golden age in the former home of Malaysian business tycoon and philanthropist Loke Yew. The building now houses the office of Cheang & Ariff law firm.
- COWBOY MAMAK The country’s best mee mamak (dangerously addictive stir-fried egg noodles in a spicy sauce) can be found a few steps across the road from Hotel Stripes at Cowboy Mamak. Wash the feast down with a cup of milky teh tarik (pulled tea).
- JALAN TUANKU ABDUL RAHMAN It’s time to traverse the length of Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman. Here you’ll find anything from crisp Indian cottons to elaborately embroidered, heavily beaded fabrics fit for a king.
- BRASSERIE 25 Cool off and escape the afternoon sun at Hotel Stripes’ Brasserie 25, where you can peoplewatch as you nibble on tasty morsels from the Le Goûter afternoon tea presentation. Partake of a selection of sweets and savouries including traditional Malaysian curry puffs and a mindblowingly delicious white chocolate truffle cake.
- BITS & PIECES It’s back to The Row for a final round of souvenir shopping at Bits & Pieces, a delightful boutique stocked with rustic, vintage-inspired ornaments and furniture. www.bitsandpieces.com.my
- CAPITAL CAFÉ Try a plate of nasi padang composed of steamed rice served with an assortment of tasty accompaniments, such as fried stink beans, grilled fish and spicy tofu. You’ll find an excellent example of this much-loved staple at Capital Café, an establishment that has satiated hungry locals since 1956.
THE COUNTRY’S BEST MEE MAMAK (DANGEROUSLY ADDICTIVE STIR-FRIED EGG NOODLES IN A SPICY SAUCE) CAN BE FOUND A FEW STEPS ACROSS THE ROAD FROM HOTEL STRIPES.