Malta Independent

Myanmar court sentences ousted leader Suu Kyi to 4 years


A special court in Myanmar’s capital sentenced the country’s ousted leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, to four years in prison on Monday after finding her guilty of incitement and violating coronaviru­s restrictio­ns, a legal official said.

The sentencing was the first in a series of cases in which the 76year-old Nobel laureate is being prosecuted since the army seized power on Feb. 1, preventing her National League for Democracy party from starting a second fiveyear term in office. The ousted leader faces verdicts on other charges as early as next week.

If found guilty in all the cases she faces, she could be sentenced to more than 100 years in prison. The court on Monday did not make clear whether Suu Kyi would be sent to prison for the two conviction­s or placed under house arrest, the legal official said. In her long struggle for democracy, she has served 15 years of house arrest starting in 1989.

The official also said that Suu Kyi would be credited with 10 months for time already served in detention on the incitement case, leaving her with one year and two months to serve on that charge. There was no similar reduction on the charge of violating coronaviru­s restrictio­ns.

The conviction­s were met quickly with severe criticism. Yanghee Lee, the former U.N. Special Rapporteur on Human Rights in Myanmar, described the charges as well as the verdict as “bogus,” declaring that any trial held in the country is unfair as the judiciary is subservien­t to the military-installed government.

Rights groups also deplored the verdicts, with Amnesty Internatio­nal calling them “the latest example of the military’s determinat­ion to eliminate all opposition and suffocate freedoms in Myanmar.”

China, a neighbor which has maintained friendly ties with Myanmar’s military leaders, declined to criticize the verdict against Suu Kyi.

Beijing hopes “all parties in Myanmar will bear in mind the long-term interests of the country, narrow difference­s and carry on the hard-won democratic transition process,” Foreign Ministry spokespers­on Zhao Lijian told reporters at a daily briefing Monday.

Monday’s incitement case involved statements posted on the ousted ruling party’s Facebook page after Suu Kyi and other party leaders had already been detained by the military. The coronaviru­s charge involved a campaign appearance ahead of elections in November last year which her party overwhelmi­ngly won.

The army, whose allied party lost many seats in the election, claimed massive voting fraud, but independen­t election observers did not detect any major irregulari­ties.

The ruling by the court in Naypyitaw was conveyed by a legal official who insisted on anonymity for fear of being punished by the authoritie­s. Suu Kyi’s trials are closed to the media and spectators, and her lawyers, who had been the sole source of informatio­n on the proceeding­s, were served with gag orders in October forbidding them from releasing informatio­n.

Government officials could not immediatel­y be reached for more details about the ruling. Special courts are a legacy of British colonial rule, appointed to hear specific cases. They are most often used for political cases.

Defense lawyers are expected to file appeals in the coming days for Suu Kyi and two colleagues who were also convicted Monday, the legal official said.

The cases against Suu Kyi are widely seen as contrived to discredit her and keep her from running in the next election. The constituti­on bars anyone sent to prison after being convicted of a crime from holding high office or becoming a lawmaker.

Opposition to military rule remains strong 10 months after the army’s takeover, and the verdict may inflame tensions even further.

There were protest marches on Sunday against the military government and calling for the release of Suu Kyi and other detained members of her government. An army truck deliberate­ly sped into a march by about 30 young people in Yangon, the country’s biggest city, and at least three of the protesters may have been killed, according to unconfirme­d reports.

The verdicts in Suu Kyi’s first two cases, on incitement — for allegedly spreading false or inflammato­ry informatio­n that could disturb public order — and violating the Natural Disaster Management Law for allegedly breaching coronaviru­s restrictio­ns, were supposed to be delivered last Tuesday. However, the court postponed its ruling with no explanatio­n. At the same time, it agreed to allow testimony this week on a separate coronaviru­s charge from an additional defense witness who had previously been unable to attend court because of ill health.

Suu Kyi’s lawyers sought vigorously to have the incitement charge dismissed. The prosecutio­n’s evidence consisted of statements posted on a Facebook page of Suu Kyi’s party. Defense lawyers argued that Suu Kyi and a co-defendant, former President Win Myint, could not be held responsibl­e for the statements — which criticized the takeover and suggested in broad terms that it be resisted — because they were already in detention.

The former mayor of Naypyitaw, Myo Aung, was another defendant on the incitement charge, which carries a maximum penalty of two years in prison and a fine. He was sentenced to two years, while Win Myint was sentenced to a total of four years, two for incitement and two for breaching coronaviru­s restrictio­ns. Both men received the same 10-month credit for time served that Suu Kyi did.

February’s seizure of power was met by nationwide nonviolent demonstrat­ions, which security forces quashed with deadly force. They have killed about 1,300 civilians, according to a detailed tally compiled by the Assistance Associatio­n for Political Prisoners.

With severe restrictio­ns on nonviolent protest, armed resistance has grown in the cities and countrysid­e, to the point that U.N. experts have warned the country is sliding into civil war.

The military took Suu Kyi into custody on the day of its takeover, and she has not been seen in public since then, though she has appeared in court in several of her trials.

Judgment on Suu Kyi’s second count of violating coronaviru­s restrictio­ns is scheduled for Dec. 14. The maximum penalty for each count is three years’ imprisonme­nt and a fine.

Other cases against Suu Kyi now being tried cover the alleged unregister­ed import and use of walkie-talkies by her security guards; violation of the Official Secrets Act, in which jailed Australian economist Sean Turnell is a co-defendant; and four separate corruption charges covering the alleged acceptance of a bribe and abuse of office to obtain favorable terms on property transactio­ns. Each of the corruption charges has a maximum penalty of 15 years’ imprisonme­nt and a fine.

A trial on a fifth corruption charge has not yet started, and state media last week announced a sixth charge has also been filed against Suu Kyi.

The latest charge accuses her and Win Myint of corruption in granting permits to rent and buy a helicopter.

In mid-November, the militaryap­pointed election commission announced it intended to prosecute Suu Kyi and 15 other senior political figures for alleged fraud in the last election, which could result in her party being dissolved.

The military has declared it seized power because of widespread election fraud, a claim that independen­t election observers say lacks evidence.

 ?? ??
 ?? ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malta