Ecuador returns to the World Cup under Argentine coach
Although he wasn't Ecuador's first choice, Gustavo Alfaro will be the coach leading the country's national team at the World Cup in Qatar.
The Argentine, who had been working at Boca Juniors, took over the Ecuador team in August 2020 from Jordi Cruyff, who hadn't even led the team on the field once because of the chaos caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
Alfaro left Buenos Aires for a team with a promising group of players who one year earlier had finished last in their group at the Copa America.
In his first news conference, he said Ecuador "has more of a future than it has of a present."
"I want to be part of the process," Alfaro said, "part of this growth and shape this dream that we have of playing the next World Cup."
Ecuador will be there, the team's fourth appearance since 2002 after missing out four years ago.
Ecuador will play in the opening match against host Qatar on Nov. 20 in Group A. Five days later, the team will face the Netherlands and then take on Senegal on Nov. 29.
Ecuador's young and physical team was very effective in
South American qualifying, even more so in the altitude of Quito — 2,850 meters (9,350 feet) above sea level. The team earned 18 of its 26 points while playing at home.
There won't be any altitude to take advantage of in Qatar, however, but players like defender Piero Hincapié, winger Gonzalo Plata and striker Enner Valencia should be able to trouble opponents.
Ecuador's physicality was key in its 2-0 win at Chile in November 2021, when Alfaro played a team with all but three players under the age of 23.
Alfaro started his career as manager working for Atlético de Rafaela and Patronato de Paraná in the early 1990s. He then had his first spell as manager of Quilmes and a second spell at Atlético de Rafaela.
In 2001, Alfaro became the manager of Olimpo and led them to the Primera B Nacional Apertura 2001 championship and promotion to the Primera.
In his only shot at an important club, Alfaro had a disastrous spell in San Lorenzo, before joining Arsenal de Sarandí in late 2006.
On 2 January 2019 Boca Juniors named Gustavo Alfaro their new head coach, having his official debut on January 27, 2019, drawing 1–1 against Newell's Old Boys for the 2018– 19 Super League. In the national competition he would finish third.
On May 2, he would be able to lift the 2018 Argentine Super
Cup after playing against Rosario Central, winning in a penalty shootout by 6–5 after drawing 0–0 in the ninety minutes. On June 2 he would lose 0–2 against Club Tigre the final of the 2019 Super League Cup in Córdoba.
Beyond the title obtained, the specialized press criticized Alfaro for the lack of a clear game identity in his team.
A pair of friendlies against Saudi Arabia and Japan in September has led to questions about the team's ability to score.
Valencia, the team's main goal threat, failed to score in both matches.
Alfaro has already shown concerns about the team's scoring form.
His other options up front include Michael Estrada, Renato Ibarra, Ángel Mena and Djorkaeff Reasco. But they have also failed to score for the national team recently.
"We need to score again, that was part of our characteristic," Alfaro said.
"Scoring doesn't depend on a winger. It depends on the whole team, from our capacity to assist, create opportunities."
Ecuador will play in the World Cup following a long legal battle.
Chile and Peru filed a complaint regarding the nationality of midfielder Byron Castillo.
Shortly after Ecuador secured its spot at the World Cup, the Chilean soccer federation claimed Castillo was actually Colombian and therefore ineligible.
FIFA dismissed Chile’s argument that Ecuadorian player Byron Castillo was actually Colombian and ineligible to play in World Cup qualifying games. Castillo played in eight qualifiers for Ecuador.
The organisation said its appeal judges “deemed that on the basis of the documents presented, the player was to be considered as holding permanent Ecuadorian nationality in accordance” with football’s legal statutes.
The verdict, which upholds a FIFA disciplinary ruling from June, has kept Chile out of the tournament and Ecuador on track to face Qatar in the opening game of the World Cup in Doha on November 20.
Chile claimed to have evidence proving Castillo is Colombian and should never have played for Ecuador.
Chile prepared its case after the World Cup draw was made on April 1, and after FIFA and Qatari organisers sold thousands of tickets and accommodation rooms to Ecuador fans.