SHAH ALAM Defence phase postponed indefinitely in Kim Jong Nam murder trial
The defence phase of the trial of two women accused of murdering Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korea’s leader, that was slated to begin on January 7 has been postponed indefinitely, lawyers said December 21.
The defence proceeding took a backseat pending appeal by one of the accused, Siti Aisyah, 26, against the High Court’s dismissal on December 18 of her request that the prosecution be compelled to supply the defence with statements given by seven witnesses to the police.
The Court of Appeal has fixed January 24 next year to hear Aisyah’s appeal, and both the prosecutor and defence told reporters they would file an appeal to the Federal Court, the country’s highest court, if the decision of the appellate court does not favour either side, thus likely further delaying the trial.
Aisyah from Indonesia, is being jointly tried with Doan Thi Huong, 30, from Vietnam, for killing North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s paternal half-brother by applying the deadly VX nerve agent on his face at Kuala Lumpur International Airport’s budget terminal on February 13 last year.
Both are accused of having a “common intention” with four North Koreans to murder Kim, but the four – Ri Ji Hyon, Ri Jae Nam, Hong Song Hac and O Jong Gil – fled Malaysia within hours of the incident and are believed to have returned to North Korea. – Kyodo