Down­town ho­tel fire in­jures 14

The Myanmar Times - - Front Page - PHOTO: ZARNI PHYO

A res­cue worker helps a for­eigner out of City Star Ho­tel in down­town Yan­gon after it caught fire on Tues­day. Four­teen peo­ple were in­jured by smoke in­hala­tion in the blaze.

FOUR­TEEN peo­ple suf­fered mi­nor in­juries when a fire broke out in a ho­tel in down­town Yan­gon, res­cuers said.

The fire broke out in the early af­ter­noon in one of the rooms of the City Star Ho­tel on Maha Ban­doola Gar­den Street in Kyauk­tada town­ship.

One woman who worked at the ho­tel said, “The room where the fire started was empty. Smoke came out of the out­door air-con­di­tion­ing unit. At the time, I was on the 7th floor, and a ho­tel guard told me to climb to the top floor. When we ar­rived there, a lad­der was erected but it couldn’t reach us. Only after fire-fight­ers put out the fire, could we go down via the stairs. We are suf­fer­ing from smoke in­hala­tion.”

Seven for­eign­ers, six women and one child suf­fered from smoke in­hala­tion and were treated by res­cuers at a nearby com­mer­cial es­tab­lish­ment. One woman em­ployee had to be hos­pi­talised be­cause of smoke in­hala­tion.

“Two women work­ers at the ho­tel were able to cross over to an ad­ja­cent build­ing to get down. The rest climbed down via emer­gency lad­ders. While the res­cue team was try­ing to reach and evac­u­ate them, they threat­ened to jump,” said Ko Kyaw Thet, a res­cuer from the “Same Join­ing Hands” res­cue team of Ba­han town­ship who was among the first re­spon­ders.

The fire de­part­ment said the fire de­stroyed two beds, two mat­tresses and an air-con­di­tioner, and an ini­tial in­ves­ti­ga­tion showed the fire was caused by an over­heated air-con­di­tioner.

Pho­tos: Zarni Phyo

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Myanmar

© PressReader. All rights reserved.