Nissan rejects Renault’s request to send successor
NISSAN Motor Co. has rejected partner Renault SA’s request to send a successor with equal authority to replace ousted chairman Carlos Ghosn, sources close to the matter said Tuesday, in a heightening leadership tussle at one of the world’s biggest automaker groups.
Renault, Nissan’s top shareholder which retains Ghosn as CEO and chairman despite his arrest last month for alleged financial misconduct, made the request during the Japanese automaker’s emergency board meeting on Nov. 22, according to the sources.
The proposal was made to protect its business interests and maintain its influence within Nissan following Ghosn’s dismissal, the sources said.
But regarding the future relationship with Renault, Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa has said he wants to review the management structure, believing that a situation in which excessive power was concentrated in Ghosn had undermined transparency and governance.
Ghosn, known for saving Nissan from the brink of bankruptcy, was sent to the Japanese automaker from Renault in 1999 as chief operating officer. He became Nissan president in 2000 and served as chief executive officer from 2001 to 2017.