Boating NZ - - Feature -

If you’re con­sid­er­ing bare­boat char­ter­ing in the Med, note that the skip­per now needs an In­ter­na­tional Cer­tifi­cate of Com­pe­tence (ICC). What? When did the rules change? They haven’t. “Hold­ing proof of com­pe­tency has al­ways been re­quired by ad­min­is­tra­tions,” says Steve Crock­ett, train­ing man­ager at Coast­guard Boat­ing Ed­u­ca­tion (CBE). “It just hasn’t been po­liced. It may be that much of the new com­pe­tency drive orig­i­nates with in­sur­ance com­pa­nies.”

Many boat­ies query­ing the ICC, he adds, are some­what miffed to dis­cover that their CBE Day Skip­per, CBE Boat­mas­ter or even NZ Yacht­mas­ter Coastal cer­tifi­cates have no stand­ing be­yond our wa­ters.

“That’s be­cause our lo­cal cer­tifi­cates have no prac­ti­cal com­po­nent or prac­ti­cal as­sess­ment. For ex­am­ple, a per­son can be the holder of a NZ cer­tifi­cate with­out ever hav­ing set foot on a boat.”

An ICC, he points out, is NOT the boat­ing equiv­a­lent of the EU road li­cense, which all EU mem­ber states are obliged to ac­cept.

There are two ways of ob­tain­ing an ICC in NZ: pro­vid­ing ev­i­dence of com­plet­ing a Royal Yacht­ing As­so­ci­a­tion (RYA) or UKMCA course of study e.g. RYA Day Skip­per Prac­ti­cal. Note: NZ Day Skip­per or Boat­mas­ter cer­tifi­cates are in­valid. Al­ter­na­tively, un­der­tak­ing a prac­ti­cal as­sess­ment at an RYA Recog­nised Train­ing Cen­tre. CBE is the lo­cal agent for the RYA. The as­sess­ment has both writ­ten/oral and prac­ti­cal el­e­ments. The syl­labus and what you may ex­pect in the ICC prac­ti­cal as­sess­ment can be found on Page 3 of the ICC Ap­pli­ca­tion form (see www.boat­inge­d­u­ca­­ses/42/in­ter­na­tional-cer­tifi­cate-of-com­pe­tence-icc/). IF YOU’RE UN­CER­TAIN ABOUT WHAT YOU MAY NEED, CON­TACT YOUR CHAR­TER COM­PANY FIRST AND, IF NEC­ES­SARY, CALL COAST­GUARD BOAT­ING ED­U­CA­TION ON 0800 40 80 90.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.