FQ’s fashion ed to the rescue
QI’m a sucker for tailored pieces and have spotted two-piece suits with shorts and skirts popping up in the latest collections. I’d love to try one out as the weather warms up, but how do I do so without feeling frumpy?
AAlthough the thought of pairing a blazer with a garment that sits near the knee may conjure up visions of school uniforms, this twee union can be surprisingly chic. Start by working out which hemline feels right for you; comfort is key here, so opt for a length you won’t end up tugging at all day. Juliette Hogan’s roomy shorts with their elastic waistband and pleats through the front provide a lovely sense of ease, while weekend-ready co-ords come in the form of Kowtow’s unbleached denim two-piece and Moochi’s utilitarian rendition. Internationally, Acne Studios’ spring 2019 collection is a lesson in the aesthetic benefits of keeping things tonal, proving that an experimental silhouette often works best when colour and pattern take a back seat. Read on for ways to take a spring suit for a spin in any scenario.
AT THE OFFICE
• Hold off on micro lengths — shorts or skirts that hit just above or on the knee are best. • Seal the deal with immaculate accessories. A chunky belt or weighty watch means business. • Balance showing a bit of leg with a no-nonsense white shirt. The Harris Tapper design seen here is one of the season’s sharpest.
IN THE EVENING
• A camisole is ideal underneath, but don’t underestimate the elegance of a turtleneck either. • Don sheer black stockings and a pair of killer heels à la Alexander Wang pre-fall 2018. • Plain gold jewellery adds lowkey sparkle; remember, your suit is the superstar here.
FOR THE WEEKEND
• Keep it casual by pairing your twin set with a retro T-shirt.
• Go for sneakers to give this look a sporty spin, or leg-lengthening ankle boots with a heel.
• You’re going to need a bag, so why not make it a playful one? Net bags are the cane basket’s successor and the perfect farmers market companion.