NEED TO KNOW
● The main varieties of lime grown in New Zealand are Tahitian, Bearss, Mexican or Key limes, and Kaffir or Makrut, which are more prized for their leaves than their fruit.
● Valued for both the acidity of its juice and the floral aroma of its zest, lime is common in Mexican, Vietnamese and Thai dishes.
● When limes are fully ripe they turn yellow.
● At room temperature, limes will stay fresh for up to a week. Wrapped loosely in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator crisper, they’ll keep for about 14 days.
● If you have surplus limes, freeze the zest and juice in ice cube trays to use in summer drinks and desserts.
● British sailors were nicknamed ‘limeys’ due to their use of limes.