Hamil­ton teams progress

Hamilton News - - Front Page - Tom Row­land

As much of Hamil­ton took a beat­ing from the weather on Sun­day, Hamil­ton Wanderers women’s team came out on top in the Kate Shep­pard’s cup against Auck­land’s West­ern Springs 2-0.

The two sides had only faced each other at the start of May with Wanderers dom­i­nat­ing much of the game and com­ing away with a 3-1 win.

This time West­ern Springs put up more of a com­pe­ti­tion, with Wanderers also miss­ing key play­ers such as top goalscorer Kelli Brown and Shae Brady.

Grace Cox, fresh from her 18th birth­day, made the first play of the game with a di­rect run from the back and played in Kim Maguire who failed to score from the re­sult­ing shot.

It was a heart-in-mouth mo­ment straight af­ter for Wanderers, as West­ern Springs had the ball in the back of their net, how­ever the cel­e­bra­tions were cut short as the lines judge had raised a flag for off­side.

Both teams had an equal share of chances in the first half, with Wanderers hit­ting the cross bar from a cor­ner while Maguire had an acute shot go marginally wide.

In the sec­ond half the game was still an even af­fair, how­ever one mo­ment of magic was able to turn it in Wanderers’ favour.

Ella Gold­ing from 40 yards out cut in­side and sent a long di­ag­o­nal pass to Emma Cawte who beat the West­ern Spring’s keeper, with the ball hit­ting the post and rolling into the net.

Lilly Mus­pratt who had been pro­moted from the re­serve side for the cup game had two chances to put the game to bed, but ev­ery­thing that could go wrong did.

De­spite her misses, Mus­pratt played a piv­otal role in pres­sur­ing the West­ern Springs de­fence and forc­ing an open­ing al­low­ing Grace Wis­newski to seize a long ball and score a sec­ond for Wanderers in extra time.

Mus­pratt, in the last min­utes of the game, did get the ball in the back of the net, but the referee ruled the ball had gone out of play be­fore the shot.

In the Chatham Cup, Melville United came from 2-0 down to win 4-3 against Eller­slie and pro­ceed to the next round of the Chatham Cup.

Hamil­ton Wanderers’ men’s fate re­main un­known, af­ter go­ing 2-0 to Manukau United the referee called off the game due to the heavy rain, with a de­ci­sion yet to be made on whether a replay will be held.

Claudelands Rovers men’s cup jour­ney ended with a 6-1 loss to cur­rent cham­pi­ons O¯ ne­hunga United at Gal­loway Park.

Photo / Rob Young

Helen Tal­bot (left) chal­lenges for the ball against a West­ern Springs at­tacker.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.