Wan­der­ers claw back 3-goal deficit

Hamilton News - - SPORT - Tom Row­land

Hamil­ton Wan­der­ers fought back from three goals down to se­cure a point away to the Can­ter­bury Dragons on Sun­day.

Rain bat­tered down on the pitch in Can­ter­bury mak­ing the con­di­tions tough for the 21 play­ers on the field, but Wan­der­ers started well, with de­fender Jor­dan Shaw hav­ing a vol­ley go straight at Can­ter­bury keeper Conor Tracey.

It was a wake-up call for Can­ter­bury, who within two min­utes had found the back of the net via Stephen Hoyle.

A long ball from Tom Sch­warz found Hoyle who made no mis­take for his 20th Can­ter­bury ca­reer goal.

Sch­warz went from provider to scorer 10 min­utes later head­ing home the ball, af­ter Gary Ogilvie had whipped in a pin-point cross.

The first half then be­came a much more phys­i­cal af­fair, with late chal­lenges and fouls com­ing in be­fore the half time whis­tle.

At the start of the sec­ond half, Can­ter­bury grabbed a third goal, as Stephen Hoyle scored his sec­ond from a volleyed at­tempt.

The game looked to be get­ting away from Wan­der­ers, while con­tin­u­ing to be­come a more phys­i­cal af­fair, how­ever in the 60th minute the mo­men­tum started to turn.

Rhys Ruka found him­self on the score­sheet af­ter a shot bounced in front of Conor Tracey be­fore hit­ting the back of the net.

Just a few min­utes later, Martin Bueno found space to work with and slot­ted home a shot to make it 3-2 with 20 min­utes left to play for.

Tem­per­a­tures fi­nally boiled over af­ter Derek Tieku for Wan­der­ers was sent off for a sec­ond yel­low card of­fence, but it was not enough to halt the mo­men­tum swing as Wan­der­ers grabbed the equaliser.

Bueno ex­pertly dis­patched the free kick to pull Wan­der­ers level with 15 min­utes to play, with the drama not fin­ish­ing there.

With min­utes left on the clock Jor­dan Shaw re­ceived a sec­ond yel­low card and was sent off for Hamil­ton Wan­der­ers, leav­ing the away side with nine men. They had done enough for the 3-3 re­sult, and re­main in the top four of the ISPS Handa Premier­ship.

Hamil­ton Wan­der­ers face off against league lead­ers Auck­land City next week­end, a team they’ve yet to beat in two years in the premier­ship.

Photo / Grant Stan­tiall

Derek Tieku was sent off for Hamil­ton Wan­der­ers dur­ing the game against Can­ter­bury.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.