St Peter’s Hall saved by council
Hamilton’s Citizens Advice Bureau has retained its home.
The Hamilton City Council was considering selling the building in the 10-year-plan, which have cashed in up to $740,000 for the council.
The St Peter’s Hall and the Reid’s Studio home to the Citizens Advice Bureau and the Drury Lane dance studio.
The hall was built in 1893 and, along with the adjoining Citizens’ Advice Bureau building, it was purchased by the council from St Peter’s Cathedral in 1990.
The buildings are registered as Category 2 heritage buildings with Heritage New Zealand.
Councillor Angela O’Leary wanted the council to retain ownership, especially after adopting the Hamilton Heritage plan in 2016.
Cr Dave Macpherson wanted to sell the building to the Anglican Church only. If they did not want to buy it then the council would retain it.
He also wanted to see the current tenants be given a 24-month notice from the date of the sale.
Macpherson’s motion didn’t pass, but O’Leary’s did 8-4.
St Peter’s Hall will remain in council hands.