Hawke's Bay Today

Rewa stands trial for 1992 killing

Accused, 65, convicted of Susan Burdett’s rape, but not of her murder

- Sam Hurley

Susan Burdett was found dead in her home on Wednesday, 25 March, 1992. Gareth Kayes, Crown prosecutor

More than 20 years since he last faced trial over the killing, Malcolm Rewa walked into an Auckland courtroom yesterday with his shoulders hunched and a ring hanging from his neck. For the third time the rapist stands before a jury accused of murdering Susan Burdett. The now elderly man, wearing a green shirt tucked into grey sweatpants, was likely recognised by “a number if not all” of the prospectiv­e jurors standing patiently in the public gallery, Justice Geoffrey Venning said. Some would also recall Burdett’s name, the Chief High Court Judge added. “Many of you may have made a connection between them and Teina Pora,” he continued, talking about the high-profile nature of the case. Justice Venning told the jury there had been “lot of publicity about the facts around this case”. “But whatever you may have read, seen or heard about the killing of Ms Burdett, or Mr Rewa or Mr Pora before today you must put aside.” He told the 12 jurors the trial “has some unusual features” with the Crown attempting to show the now 65-year-old Rewa’s “pattern of conduct” when carrying out sexual attacks on women. This, Justice Venning explained, was not to “blacken Mr Rewa’s character”. “He is not facing a charge of rape in this case but of murder.” Burdett, 39, was raped and bludgeoned to death in her Papatoetoe home in 1992. Gareth Kayes is leading a team of three to prosecute the case for the Crown, while Rewa is represente­d by his lawyer Paul Chambers. “Susan Burdett was found dead in her home on Wednesday, 25 March, 1992,” Kayes said, beginning his opening address this morning. She was lying naked on her bed, her upper half covered with a duvet and her legs crossed and hanging over the side of the bed, he said. “She had sustained massive, fatal head injuries.” When forensic investigat­ions were carried out DNA belonging to Rewa was found on Burdett, he said. Rewa, he alleged, had entered Burdett’s home on March 23, raped her and murdered her. “This is my opportunit­y at the beginning of this trial to tell you more about the case,” he said. On the night of the Monday before Burdett’s body was found her neighbour also recalled hearing a “thudding sound”. That neighbour, Winifred O’Sullivan, told the court she “heard a louder bang followed by quite a few softer bangs”. “It sounded like something quite heavy being knocked against a wall,” she said. “It wasn’t like someone had a hammer and was hammering against a nail, it was quite different.” The two groups of sounds were divided by a couple of minutes, O’Sullivan added. She went to investigat­e but noticed no lights were on at Burdett’s home so she went back to bed. The next day, however, O’Sullivan noticed Burdett’s windows were unusually closed and the rubbish bin wasn’t out as it normally would be on a Tuesday morning. Burdett, a keen tenpin bowler, had a “scrupulous work record”, Kayes said. So when the accounts clerk failed to show at work her workmates contacted friends to see if she was okay. When one friend went to her home he noticed the blinds on the bedroom window were drawn, Kayes explained. He entered the home and walked down the hallway — then he came across Burdett’s body. In front of her, almost parallel, was a baseball bat she would keep nearby for protection, Kayes told the court. Brain matter and a significan­t amount of blood was on the sheets, while a bra covered Burdett’s eyes, he said. The prosecutor said forensic evidence concluded Burdett had been hit across the head at least five times by a blunt instrument — such as a baseball bat. She would have died within minutes, Kayes added. No items had been disturbed in the house, except perhaps a briefcase in the spare room. A bank card and black camera were also never found. Kayes said the way in which Burdett was attacked and Rewa’s DNA were why he alleges Rewa was the guilty culprit. He said Rewa’s propensity to sexually assault women displayed a “striking resemblanc­e” to the attack on Burdett. “On many occasions the accused took small items,” Kayes said. “In almost all cases the women had the upper parts of their body covered, and in almost all of the cases the lower half was naked.” In 1998, Rewa was convicted of having raped Burdett but two juries that year were unable to decide whether he murdered her.

 ?? Photo / Michael Craig ?? Malcolm Rewa in the dock at the Auckland High Court where he is facing a retrial for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992.
Photo / Michael Craig Malcolm Rewa in the dock at the Auckland High Court where he is facing a retrial for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand