An elec­tri­cal fail­ure nearly de­layed the ar­rival of Kim­ber­ley and Karlo Du­na­tov’s third child - but with the power fi­nally up it was all on for the ar­rival of baby Bart


Mum Kim­berly shares her fears about her third c-sec­tion

Kim­ber­ley, Karlo and baby Bart

“Bart is our third child, but even after hav­ing c-sec­tions with my other two sons, I still found it re­ally nerve-rack­ing. I have Crohn’s dis­ease so all of my kids had to be de­liv­ered by c-sec­tion. Be­fore each one I found it hard to sleep the night be­fore, and this one was no dif­fer­ent. Ev­ery half hour, I would wake up and think ‘What if some­thing goes wrong?’, ‘What if I go into labour in­stead?’. With my last c-sec­tion, my son, Dary, got stuck up near my ribs and they ended up pulling him out with for­ceps. A nurse had to jump up and down on my chest to push him out and two of my ribs were cracked. It took eight weeks to heal and made breast­feed­ing painful. The mem­o­ries of that were still fresh in my mind. The morn­ing of the op­er­a­tion I got up at 5am to have my last drink of wa­ter. I was sched­uled for 7.30am and you can’t eat or drink any­thing for a while be­fore that. I don’t do well with not eat­ing so ev­ery­one in­stinc­tively knew not to eat around me. I get rather hangry! I said good­bye to my older son, Xarn­der, but Dary was still asleep. We left home just be­fore 6am. When we got to the hospi­tal it was pitch black. All the lights were out, no lifts were work­ing; there was just the odd se­cu­rity light on. We were told they had been do­ing

a gen­er­a­tor test and the power failed to re­boot so ev­ery­thing was out ex­cept for the emer­gency gen­er­a­tors, which only cover the emer­gency ar­eas. They said we might not be able to have the c-sec­tion that day un­less ev­ery­thing kicked back in. There were peo­ple stuck in lifts, ev­ery­thing had just stopped. That set the nerves off com­pletely. At mid­day, they said they would have one more try of the gen­er­a­tors at 1pm and if it didn’t come on we would be sent home. At 12.50pm, my hus­band and I said noth­ing for the next 10 min­utes. We lit­er­ally sat and watched the clock tick over. Just after 1pm, the power came back on. I let out a huge sigh of re­lief but then I re­alised I was about to go into the op­er­at­ing room and the nerves set in again. They ad­min­is­tered the epidu­ral and I was wheeled into the­atre. The hard­est thing about the whole ex­pe­ri­ence was that ner­vous wait for baby, be­cause you can’t see any­thing over the cur­tain. When I heard that first cry, a big smile broke out across my face. It was such a re­lief to know that he was okay. Forty-five min­utes later, our two older boys ar­rived with their Grandma. Xarn­der was over­joyed to meet his new lit­tle brother. Dary was a wee bit more re­served, but it was lovely to see them both wel­come Bart with so much love. 

‘When I heard that first cry, a big smile broke out across my face’

Kim­ber­ley and Karlo share a mo­ment after the ar­rival of third son, Bart.

Lit­tle Bart ar­rives and cap­tures ev­ery­one’s hearts straight away.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.